Multi fuel stove smell making it unusable :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
following a chimney fire 3 years ago in our new house, we got a new stove installed and the flue lined etc.
However, the new stove - Morso - has an acrid smell each time we put it on.
The smell really catches our breath and stings the eyes, so each time we chance putting it on, we have to dampen it down and extinguish it again.
I've googled, and advice varies, but burning the stove hot/above a certain temp has not 'burned off' the smell.
When the new stove and flue were being installed the installer placed a metal plate above the stove to close off the chimney and allow the pipe through (see photos) - he sprayed this with black paint...i'm wondering if that't the source of the smell? or could it be the brick? or the stove itself?
Either way, it's unusable.
Advice please??

Stove 1.jpg
Stove 2.jpg
Stove 3.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm sure if you give it time the smell will eventually disappear.....it took well over a month for ours to stop smelling, and the same applies to your register plate.
Consider not having the fire roaring away for a while, use a stove pipe thermometer to help you regulate it and how about an Eco fan?
John :)

Had one of these on my boat a while back when I had a boat. The spray paint, if it was the high temperature stuff, does smell for a while. The other stuff that smells is high temperature silicon sealant that the installer may have used to seal to flue to the stove collar. Mine smelt for around a month or so I would say and it wasn't pleasant especially in the confines of a boat. It does go away after a while but you do have use the stove and put up with the pong for a bit.

Put a fire on before you leave the house or room for an hour or two.
Or get installer back to check.Was chimney swept before install?

Sponsored Links
It's bad advice to run them too hot, and those that have told you to do that are wrong. There's going to be a certain amount of smell from a new stove, but it will go, but if you overburn it, then the smell will get worse.

Most stove paint is only designed for a max of 650C but you can get 1200C paint, and I suspect the paint is being burned too hot. The register plate will get hot, but not as much as the stove will, but the paint on there could be too hot as well. But the register plate has sealed the chimney, so you won't be getting any smell out of there.

Thanks all for your advice. I've kept a low fire going every night since I posted. The smell only seems to be there whenever I put in a heat log, so I'm sticking to coal which doesn't produce big flame.
Hopefully that'll sort it out.

If you invest in a Stovax flue pipe thermometer, you may be surprised how easy it is to over fire your stove.
Rather than coal I burn ovoids.....a little more expensive but low on bitumen content so there's less build up of soot in the flue.
John :)

Thanks, I'll have a look a getting one of those

How good a seal is there between the register plate and the brick work?
If there is not a good seal, the new flue pipe is not surounded by insulation it could be burning residual deposits in the chimney so the gasses/smell can be forced into the room.
litl

Hi I just wondered if you ever resolved this? We have exactly the same issue with the same Morso 3116 stove. Many thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back