"Multi" tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Multi-tools - are they any good?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gop250ce-250w-multi-cutter-240v/75197

I have some door thresholds that need a spot of sanding down and the dual action rotary sander is good enough for the middle, and aint no good for getting to the square edges and corners. I'm thinking Bosch Blue or Makita or some half decent brand like that.

Do to consumables last a long enough time, do you have a particular brand but wish you'd bought another; why so? Are the consumables cheap enough and easy enough to actually find in a local DIY shop?

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Multi-tools - are they any good?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gop250ce-250w-multi-cutter-240v/75197

do you have a particular brand but wish you'd bought another; why so?

Yes I had the one you have linked to, packed up on me on the third time I used it, so was returned then bought a sonicraft and it has done many a fine job for me. With regards to consumables, normally to ones provided with the tool are poor, but if you replace with a decent make like fein, then things are normally good.

Okay thanks for the feedback, I was surprised to read you had trouble with a Bosch Blue.

Nozzle

I have the bosch blue cordless version and have hammered it for 2 yrs at least, it still works like it did the first time I used it, they will use a lot of batteries if you don't need the cordless version then it will be cheaper and probably have more power, that said you need to let them cool after say 15 min of continues use.

Sponsored Links
Replacement blades from boot fairs and ebay are way cheaper , got blades from £2 each.

I've got the GOP250CE and the cordless version, both are great although you really need three batteries minimum for the cordless one

Do a search on this forum - there's a link to a company which sells their own consumables and adapters to make them fit particular multi-tools.

There are two independents on ebay. Both really good.

I got an own-brand from Lidl for less than £20 (mainly out of curiosity) and it's one of those tools I just wish I'd bought earlier!

I've mainly used it for plasterboard and render when cutting in cables and on floorboards/skirting boards.

Not had to replace blades yet - but I believe they are compatible with Bosch blades - time will tell.

I can't comment on how long it will last - but at that price - they are almost a consumable.

Whitling2k

I have the Fein Multimaster (corded). I wish that I had purchased it years earlier.

A friend had the Bosch but it kept failing so he purchased the cordless Fein.

The fein does have one advantage over the others. The blades can be rotated to more different angles which can help when working in restricted spaces.

That said, the Dewalt unit looks very impressive, especially the depth stop and dust extraction

That said, the Dewalt unit looks very impressive, especially the depth stop and dust extraction
I'm quite pleased with it, especially as those accessories can now be bought cheaply and there is no longer any need to get the full kit.

Got mine for £99 as opposed to £179 for the kit.

I'm really tempted to buy the Bosch that is linked in the first post.

However, is it suitable for trimming the edge off a hollow internal door, or would I be better off using something else?

I know they're excellent for trimming door posts etc when tiling/installing laminate, but would it work on door trimming with the semi-circular blade?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back