Multi Trade/Carpentry?

and would you go 110 or 240v?

My power tools are about half and half.
240v for the work shop and 240v/110v for the site.

I like 240v for circular saws as (imo) they have a lot more oomph.
My big 240v Makita with 270mm blade will rip 100mm thick planks.
Have a festool HK85 and fsk rail and a TS55. Both 240v. (the hk85 is only available in 240v)
Also have a small 7" hitachi (110v) and a metabo 18v cordless which is compatible with the festool rails.
My Miter saw is the LS1013. 240v.
My recip saw is makita 110v and 18v metabo. Jigsaw is festool 110v.
SDS is 110v hitachi and 18v metabo and bosch breaker/drill is 110v.
Router is 240 dewalt and 110v festool..(my dewalt router was pretty much burnt out this week after a heavy session:()
Power drill is 110v metabo.
Planer is 110v Makita and 18 volt cordless metabo.
And I have a husqvarna chainsaw.
Thats about the half of my power tools.:D

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm going to have to build the power tool collection up gradually starting with the 110v drill and transformer i already own. Not sure which way to go with this.. out and out as a chippy or allrounder. Either way my honest approach doesn't look like it's going to get me an oppportunity so i'm gonna have to step into chancer mode and blag it more..

I began in the trade as a labourer and progressed into a fully fledged brickie. Gained a fair bit of experience plastering, hanging doors, carcassing etc.
It was only when I went self-employed (gaffer retired) that I really started to knuckle down and learn other trades. I taught myself how to build roofs (and tile them in), mainly due to not wanting to go hunting for chippies who weren't too busy with their own stuff. The same with digger driving.

As said, the process is kinda catch-22. but it all starts with you putting yourself out there.

Get yourself a nice big sliding compound chop saw and bench and start from there.(y)

That's nice looking work mate. I always did want to do some roofing.. love all the angles. Closest i came was building a shed on my uncles allotment lol Did you work in woth other roofers first or just read up on it all? And does the speed square really do it all? :)

Did you work in woth other roofers first or just read up on it all? And does the speed square really do it all? :)
I helped and watched whilst roofers worked on my extensions. I'm also a geek where maths is concerned so have a pretty good grasp of trigonometry, which makes roofing a lot simpler.
Never used a speed square or tables. All I need is a scientific calculator.

Sponsored Links
I was actually going to ask how much of the trig was worked out beforehand :)

I have the trig app on my mobile which I find very useful and rarely use a scientific calculator now.
I do all the trusse design on cad.

I was actually going to ask how much of the trig was worked out beforehand :)
It's a massive part as far as I'm concerned. I can work out the rafter length to the mm as long as I know the wall plate distance apart and the roof pitch. From there I can work out all other parameters of the roof. You just need to know exactly at what points you are measuring from on your rafter relative to your birdsmouth and top plumb cut.

If you Tangent the pitch then multiply the answer by half the distance between plates, it will give you the rise. Using Pythagoras you can then work out the rafter length. This length will be along the hypotenuse × (green diagonal) dotted line shown above.

Last edited:
Yeah.. be worth brushing up if i found myself designing one.. but actually putting one in would be the first step for me! :)

another way
45.0 cos 1'x = 1.414 (secant) then just times by the half span so if 3.550 =5.020
works the same with all angles
you can do hips this way too
just got to remember rafters run 12" but hips and valleys run 16.97"

or sometime i just get the old roofing square out

as for tools it all depends what you want the only time i get 110v out is if im ripping firrings down everything else if cordless
got the hilti 36v saws for roofing plus there 22v sds impact drivers and lasers
but i also have quite a bit of the dewalt brushless gear (5amp) and am impressed but not with there 54v gear just a con as it only runs 2 or 3 amps so runtime pants
so any good cordless kit is enough to get you going and you will soon bin those leads

Got an interview tomorrow so fingers crossed :) What about chargers.. ok for those to be 240v, as most of them seem to be so?

It's a massive part as far as I'm concerned. I can work out the rafter length to the mm as long as I know the wall plate distance apart and the roof pitch. From there I can work out all other parameters of the roof. You just need to know exactly at what points you are measuring from on your rafter relative to your birdsmouth and top plumb cut.

If you Tangent the pitch then multiply the answer by half the distance between plates, it will give you the rise. Using Pythagoras you can then work out the rafter length. This length will be along the hypotenuse × (green diagonal) dotted line shown above.

Noseall.. when you're doing those compound cuts for the jacks.. do you get em with the mitre saw or just put the bevel on a skillsaw and mark out?

Noseall.. when you're doing those compound cuts for the jacks.. do you get em with the mitre saw or just put the bevel on a skillsaw and mark out?

I've got a Dewalt 708 double bevel sliding mitre saw and bench. Its a beast and can put a 45/45 compound cut on the end of a 9"x 4" purlin.

Nice.. i had to read up on the double bevel, I didn't know you could get saws that swing both ways!

Nice.. i had to read up on the double bevel, I didn't know you could get saws that swing both ways!
Yeah, the table rotates 50 degrees one way and 60 degrees the other. The bevel flips both ways 45 degrees in each direction. You have to press a release button to flip it to the right.

I'm not sure they even sell it in the UK now. Had mine for about 12yr+.

i have heard stories about swinging both ways -----------

---------- but no one mentioned dewalt ???

Sponsored Links
Back