Multimeter Setting for Fan Oven Element Continuity.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening

I have tested with a multimeter, my fan oven element and it shows no continuity whatsoever, but was wondering what would be a typical expected reading of a good element (having said that I tried each and every range on my multimeter.

The fact that it shows no continuity suggests O/C, but what bothers me is the possibility of a thermostat/regulator fault, since I am about to order a new element.

When the oven was turned on the other day, the RCD (however, a 100mA S-Type, so not the typical 30mA reputed for tripping from oven elements on a regular basis).

If someone could shed some light on this before I order a new element?

Regards

Sponsored Links
You did not really complete your sentence about the rcd but I presume you meant it tripped. This probably just means that when the element went open circuit one end shorted to earth. You may not have been able to measure that with a multimeter. I don't really understand what other info. you need to confirm the element has failed.

Set your meter to the low ohms range and expect to see in the region of 20 ohms if the element is good.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Resistance between the element ends should be about 20 Ohms for a 3kW element, or 30 Ohms for a 2kW element. Resistance from either end to earth/casing should be O/L (open circuit).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back