Multiple 2way switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Working out the kitchen lights, I'll have 6 lighting zones. Probably look to use the MK grid system for 6 switches.

I was looking to extend the switching capability to the other side of the kitchen near the back door.

As is usual a 4core cable between the individual switches would suffice. Great for 1,2 or 3way... But was thinking that bunching six 4core cables together is a bit wasteful when only 3cores per switch and one overall earth would be needed... would it be ok to use one or more multicore cables, or is the correct way, individual 4core cables ?

And whilst on the subject, same goes for using twin and earth to the switch, really only need 2conductors for the switch and one overall earth ? Again, can a multicore cable be used, and if so, a pointer to which and where would be good..

Help/advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
I take your point.

I'd be inclined to use conduit and singles (individual wires) that way you can indeed have a single earth.

Also consider the 'alternative' way of wiring 2way lighting, where you run the live to common on switch one. Use common on switch 2 as the swtiched live, and use a 2 cores to connect 1 and 2 of both switches together. This would be ideal for you, as assuming all the lights are on the same MCB, you need only run 1 live to one bank of switches. This will really save you copper.

Hope this helps
Dan

QUICK REPLY !

Ah yes, conduit and "singles" That's gotta be better than six 4cores !

6x4core = 24 conductors and 6xthick outer sheathing.
6x3singles + 1 earth = 19 conductors and conduit.

As for the "alternative", any chance of a schematic ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back