adding an extra light switch which is a 2-way switch and rep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in my garage there is only a single switch near the garage door. i recently put a new door from the hall to the garage and i would like to add a new light switch next to the new door. but i would like it to be a 2way switch. What I mean is to be able to use the existing switch and adding a new one but be able to enter from the garage door switching the light on and turn it of from the new door and vice versa.

however; when i opened the existing switch i can see an earth switch not connected to any where + two black cable gone in a same place but not connected to the switch + two reds connected to the switch one to L1 and the other to L2.

Now i have bought a 3core cable specifically for a 2way switch plus two extra switches where consisted of L1 + L2 and Common.

I am confused with the existing wiring => two blacks, two reds and a earth? how can I carry on further please, how do i use these existing colors and connecting it to my new cable which has a blue, brown white and bear coper?

Sponsored Links
See the diagram of 2-way switching circuits in the For Reference section. You need to put the two reds into L1 & L2, and link the switch to the one at the new location with the 3-core cable. The diagram shows the old red/yellow/blue colours, not the new brown/black/grey, but the principle is the same. All the cores, except earth, should be sleeved brown at each end, and you need to put a warning notice about the use of old & new colours on the consumer unit.

Earths should be sleeved green & yellow, and should be connected.

Leave the blacks alone, connected to each other as they are now.

ban-all-sheds said:

If your mounting box is plastic and does not have an earth terminal, make sure the earths are connected to each other.

Sponsored Links
you said to connect the earth together if my mounting box is plastic.

The original box is metal with platich swich but the new switch it is all plastic. How can i connect the earth of each cable to gether?

The plastic patress box should have a brass earthing terminal in it. If it does not then connector block would be fine

Existing cable and Switch:
It has 2 blacks(connected together but going no where) +
2 reds going to a single switch one to L1 and the other to L2 +
1 Earth, yellow green, going no where.
The existing switch has a metal mounting box and a plastic facing. I am planning to replace the plastic facing for this switch with a two way plastic facing switch(it will have a L1, l2 and Common).

The New Switch:
It has a plastic mounting and facing and it is for a two switch(it will have a L1, l2 and Common).

The New Linking Cable:
It is a 3 core cable consisted of brown, grey, black and a bear one.

The existing circuit cable: the blacks -> where would they go -> into L1, L2, Common or nowhere?
the 2 reds -> where do they go -> into L1, L2, Common or nowhere?
yellow/green -> into L1, L2, Common or nowhere?

The new Linking cable:
This cable has two ends -> one to the new switch and one to the existing where it is getting replaced by a L1, L2 and Common switch. What I would like to know is for the linking cable how each end and color is connected to each L1s, L2s and Commons?

[/b]

ban-all-sheds said:
See the diagram of 2-way switching circuits in the For Reference section. You need to put the two reds into L1 & L2, and link the switch to the one at the new location with the 3-core cable. The diagram shows the old red/yellow/blue colours, not the new brown/black/grey, but the principle is the same. All the cores, except earth, should be sleeved brown at each end, and you need to put a warning notice about the use of old & new colours on the consumer unit.

The Reference is at the top of the list of threads.

could you put a link to the diagam please, i don't know where to lok for it: List of threads????????????????????????

Look at the list where your thread appears.

Near the top is one marked as For Reference. In there is a diagram showing exactly how to do your wiring alteration.

I wonder what the point is of you asking questions, because you are ignoring the answers you get.

Here is what I wrote earlier, with a bit of colour coding.

ban-all-sheds said:

a.tashnizi said:
The existing circuit cable: the blacks -> where would they go -> into L1, L2, Common or nowhere?
SEE THE BLUE PART.

the 2 reds -> where do they go -> into L1, L2, Common or nowhere?
SEE THE RED PART.

yellow/green -> into L1, L2, Common or nowhere?
SEE THE GREEN PART. But the fact that you would ever contemplate connecting an earth to one of the functional terminals of a switch makes me seriously doubt your competence to do any of this.

The new Linking cable:
This cable has two ends -> one to the new switch and one to the existing where it is getting replaced by a L1, L2 and Common switch. What I would like to know is for the linking cable how each end and color is connected to each L1s, L2s and Commons?
OK - fair enough that you might not have been able to find the diagrams, but the other answers had been given to you, and they completely passed you by. I really don't think you should be doing this job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back