Multiple dimmable LED ceiling lights on same dimmer switch

Input voltage is AC 85-265
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131098138627 For full spec. Mine is the 6V model.
[I presume you mean 6W] Although the eBay listing says (maybe/probably correctly) that the goods are located "in the UK", I presume that you are aware of:
Based in China, sst00 has been an eBay member since 29 Dec, 2013
and...
Item shipped from China via China Post Airmail or HongKong Post Airmail, It takes approximately 10-15 business days (USA,CA,AU,UK).other country 15-30 business days(Brzil,Europe,India),Exact delivery time depends on postal process.
Particularly given the ('attractive') price, these items may not be high quality (may not even be safe), and hence may not last all that long. One generally gets what one pays for.

Kind Regards, John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I got some advice from a helpline for a company that sells LED ceiling lights.
I forget which one though.
I only want 1 switch to control the lights( the dimmer switch).

Most stuff on ebay seems to come from China and I never had to pay duty before. They are coming from their store in the UK. Hope I don't get a surprise!

The distance issue from the live source I haven't heard before. Does that mean that if a star configuration is used then the light may not be more than a meter from the connection boxes. In that case we have to use daisy chain then.

You should also be aware that most drivers have a limit on the distance between the switch live source and the driver itself - sometimes less than a metre.
If I understand you correctly, I must say that I have not come across that, and I'm not sure why it would be. There is usually/often a (low) limit on the distance between driver and load (light), but that's a different matter.

Kind Regards, John

I got some advice from a helpline for a company that sells LED ceiling lights. I forget which one though.
I only want 1 switch to control the lights( the dimmer switch).
I think there must have been some misunderstanding - since there really isn't anything that an extra core of cable could be connected to. You probably don't even 'need' the third (earth) core, although regulations require it to be there, even if it is not connected to the driver, let alone a fourth.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I ordered them over the weekend and the delivery date is Friday, so they must be in the UK already.
If they turn out to be crap then I will have to replace them, but they were the best technical spec I could find. Touch wood.
I guess most stuff is made in China, even buying through a UK shop?

Thanks everybody... I will keep you posted on how these turn out.
Fortunately they will be installed under a living roof, so no danger of fire :D

I guess most stuff is made in China, even buying through a UK shop?
Yes, most things are manufactured in the Far East these days. However, there's a big difference between a 'Chinese product' and a product badged by a reputable Western company who farm out the physical manufacture to the Far East.

Kind Regards, John

You should also be aware that most drivers have a limit on the distance between the switch live source and the driver itself - sometimes less than a metre.
A distance limit on the 230V side? Surely not…...
It's not the usual "typing too slowly" - you've been reading too slowly this time :) ....
... must say that I have not come across that, and I'm not sure why it would be. There is usually/often a (low) limit on the distance between driver and load (light), but that's a different matter.
Quite correct - I meant the driver and the light.

Kind Regards, John

Sounds a lot of lights to me. We've just fitted 9x 7W Lumilife fittings on one dimmer in an area 5.5m x 5.25m and it is plenty. Even 5w fittings are roughly the same as a 40w bulb. You wouldn't fit 18x 40w bulbs in that area. PS, make sure you get wide beam fittings. The Lumilife fittings are 120° so give a very good even light. 60° fittings look like a load of torch beams shining down from the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back