Multiple dimmable LED ceiling lights on same dimmer switch

Hi Jeds.

The beam is 160 wide. It is a yoga/art studio with 8 foot ceilings, so wanted to ensure very intense light when we needed it. Also hoping that the dimmability option will allow us to turn them down. Do they use fewer watts when dimmed?
I don't think so, but not sure.
Can you confirm the cable you used and junction box arrangement please?

Cheers

Lance

Latest update: From Quickar Electronics HOW TO....

"If you need to hook up many leds The correct way is to place several leds in series, and then several series strings in parallel with each other, thereby needing neither the high voltage needed with series wiring, or the high current needed with all parallel wiring."

Also lights arrived and no duty to pay.

Sponsored Links
Out of interest Lance, do the lights have any CE type markings on them?

Hi

Yes they have CE markings on the driver and the light. Not sure that means anything though.

Driver says: Input - AC85-265V 50/60Hz,
Output - DC 30-60V 300mA
Light says: Input - DC 20V 300mA

Is that a missmatch betewen voltage?

Cheers

Lance

Sponsored Links
Driver says: Input - AC85-265V 50/60Hz, Output - DC 30-60V 300mA
On the face of it, it would sound a bit like that. One would expect the driver to be a 'constant current' one (does it say that?) in which case, the stated "minimum output voltage" might be the lowest voltage (needed to put 300mA through the light) that does not result in overheating of the driver. I would advise you to ask the supplier about this.

Kind Regards, John

Yes they have CE markings on the driver and the light. Not sure that means anything though.
With cheap direct-from-China tat it often does not mean what they want you to think it means.

Driver says: Input - AC85-265V 50/60Hz,
Output - DC 30 -60V 300mA
Light says: Input - DC 20 V 300mA

:confused:

Latest update: From Quickar Electronics HOW TO....

"If you need to hook up many leds The correct way is to place several leds in series, and then several series strings in parallel with each other, thereby needing neither the high voltage needed with series wiring, or the high current needed with all parallel wiring."
Yes but you have a driver for each led - what do the manufacturers instructions say?
Also I think we have gone past the point where any electrician is going to be involved in this project?
Lighting circuits are simple - unless you make them complicated.

Driver says: Input - AC85-265V 50/60Hz, Output - DC 30-60V 300mA
To follow up on what I wrote yesterday, IF they are 'constant current' drivers, and IF those specs quoted above are correct, then you could presumably run two or three lights in series (requiring 40V or 60V total, at 300mA) off each driver (which says that it can provide 300mA at 30-60V).

However, before doing anything like that, you would need to check with the suppliers whether both those IFs are actually true.

Kind Regards, John

To follow up on what I wrote yesterday, IF they are 'constant current' drivers, and IF those specs quoted above are correct, then you could presumably run two or three lights in series (requiring 40V or 60V total, at 300mA) off each driver (which says that it can provide 300mA at 30-60V).

However, before doing anything like that, you would need to check with the suppliers whether both those IFs are actually true.
I cannot understand why people are over complicating this - going of on yet another tangent.
The OP (or his electrician ;)) should wire them the simplest way.
According to the ebay link - you get one driver per light. The OP has bought 18 lights 18 drivers. No need to wire them in series or even contemplate this.
Or are you now suggesting that instead of an already over populated ceiling of 18 lights he should now have two or three lights running off each driver - making potentially a ceiling of 36 or even 54 lights.
Or even worse (IMHO) only using 6 of the drivers to run the 18 lights.

I cannot understand why people are over complicating this - going of on yet another tangent. ... The OP (or his electrician ;)) should wire them the simplest way. ... According to the ebay link - you get one driver per light. The OP has bought 18 lights 18 drivers. No need to wire them in series or even contemplate this.
Yes, but, if the markings on the drivers and lights are correct, the drivers are not suitable for driving a single light - since the driver is rated to supply 300mA at 30V-60V, whereas a single light says it will have 20V across it at 300mA. Hence, particularly if it is a fairly crude sort of constant current driver, it could well overheat if there was only 20V across the load (hence potentially having to dissipate power due to 40V at 300mA within the driver)
Or are you now suggesting that instead of an already over populated ceiling of 18 lights he should now have two or three lights running off each driver - making potentially a ceiling of 36 or even 54 lights. ... Or even worse (IMHO) only using 6 of the drivers to run the 18 lights.
The latter (well, 6 or 9 of the drivers). You may feel that is is 'even worse', but if the markings on drivers and lights are correct, it may be the only safe way (unless the OP can get the drivers replaced with ones which can safely supply 300mA at 20V).

That's how I see it, anyway!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back