multiple down lighters (again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

hopefully one of you sparkies out there can help me?

i want to put some down lighters in my cellar as part of its refurb from a hole into a respectable storage area.

i have 10 240 V AC gu10 50 watt down lighters, 2 for the stairs and 8 for the cellar in 3 banks (3, 2, 3).

I have been looking around and have seen plenty of examples on wiring lighting circuits but not much on multiple lights.

my question is do i need a junction box for each light or do i run each bank off 1 junction box?

secondly at the first junction box where the switch come in and goes out to the light i take it the next junction box along is for the next bank to start and onto the 3rd bank?

cheers for your help

Sponsored Links
You can wire them in a star arrangement, but there should be space in the little terminal box on top of the light to terminate 2 cables / flexes in it. Daisychaining like this is by far the easiest way.

crafty1289 said:
You can wire them in a star arrangement, but there should be space in the little terminal box on top of the light to terminate 2 cables / flexes in it. Daisychaining like this is by far the easiest way.

thanks for the reply, thought about daisy chain them, but then if at a later date i want to make the room habitable, would the junction box method not be more acceptable to the planning control people?

i knocked up a drawing quickly to run through in my head what had to be done, comments (constructive) would be appreciated by anyone.

dag namit how do you put a bloody picture on here!?!

Sponsored Links
[quote="Jubbly Boy]dag namit how do you put a b****y picture on here!?![/quote]

lets see if this works

cellar%20light%20circuit.jpg

whilst it would work, there is no real advantage of having a junction box at each light. No problem at all with having 2 cables at each light. The junction box method is just making more work. Also, instead of having the several branches, why not just run the cable around to each light in turn - even less joints.

ooi, did you use a special programme to draw that diagram????

crafty1289 said:
whilst it would work, there is no real advantage of having a junction box at each light. No problem at all with having 2 cables at each light. The junction box method is just making more work. Also, instead of having the several branches, why not just run the cable around to each light in turn - even less joints.

ooi, did you use a special programme to draw that diagram????

to draw it i used visio, i typed light in the symbol search box and it gave me a down light - that was handy!

the junction box i made myself - just a load of circles.

as for the design, i wanted to limit the number of holes i drilled in my joists, and while i could daisy chain them, if for some reason a light fitting broke i would loose every light from that point on. once i put up the plaster board i don't fancy taking it down again.

also having one cable into the light fitting makes it easier to position, and it i have to pop a light fitting out i will not be putting strain on another 2.

having done mechanical engineering apprenticeship and then an electronic systems degree i tend to view things from a couple angles now, which can be a pain, but my mum reckons that is nothing compared to the pain in the arse i am about being a perfectionsist and doing things properly and right.

thanks for the feedback

PS. if anyone wants any drawings done more than happy to do them for a beer or two!

By 'daisy chaining' them together, the phase and neutral is unbroken between all lights (connected at each light) and they are connected in parallel so one bulb blowing wont take them all out

Also if you use joint boxes and the installation is inspected later this may be picked up as all connections must be accesible and some guys don't like JB's under floors/above plasterboard ceilings!

PompeySparks said:
By 'daisy chaining' them together, the phase and neutral is unbroken between all lights (connected at each light) and they are connected in parallel so one bulb blowing wont take them all out

Also if you use joint boxes and the installation is inspected later this may be picked up as all connections must be accesible and some guys don't like JB's under floors/above plasterboard ceilings!

OK point taken, what about using one JB to branch for switch feed and the 3 banks and then daisy chining along the lights?

this way i can hide the JB on the joist behind the stud wall, but it would still be accessible as i have to put an opening for access to gas, electric and consumer unit

i updated the diagram now with green/yellow for earth :LOL:

If you mean you want to run power to an accessible JB, run the switch line from this JB and then daisy chain all of the lights from this JB it sounds fine!

PompeySparks said:
If you mean you want to run power to an accessible JB, run the switch line from this JB and then daisy chain all of the lights from this JB it sounds fine!

pompeysparks is this what i meant and i think you confirmed:

cellar%20light%20circuit%20rev2.jpg

Not quite - the problem here is the 'T' that branches to each bank would need a Junction Box!

Run the cable from the switch JB to the left light of bank 1 and then along It (as you were) and then from the right light of bank one to the left light of bank two. Now connect across bank two (as you were) and run cable from the right light of bank 2 to the light side of bank 3. Now finally connect across bank 3 (as you were)

This way all of your lights are wired in one long line and the light connections will be the only places you need to join the run of cable after it leaves the switch JB

EDIT: Sorry have just realised it is more of a circuit diagram than a cable run diagram and as a circuit diagram, it's absolutely correct!

PompeySparks said:
Not quite - the problem here is the 'T' that branches to each bank would need a Junction Box!

Run the cable from the switch JB to the left light of bank 1 and then along It (as you were) and then from the right light of bank one to the left light of bank two. Now connect across bank two (as you were) and run cable from the right light of bank 2 to the light side of bank 3. Now finally connect across b ank 3 (as you were)

This way all of your lights are wired in one long line and the light connections will be the only places you need to join the run of cable after it leaves the switch JB

EDIT: Sorry have just realised it is more of a circuit diagram than a cable run diagram and as a circuit diagram, it's absolutely correct!

sorry :oops: should have said that all live, neutral and earth connections are back at the JB, i put the cables on top of each other for neatness and they now look like "T" connections, but i will do it the way you said - wanted to cut down on cable runs that was all :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back