Music question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can put me out of my missery. A few years ago, I heard some backing to a documentary, that I really liked. No one in the room could put a name to it. Later I heard it again on an add for one of those IBIZA Chill out type album adverts. By the time I got into the living room, the add had finished, and no one knew the name of the album and still no-one could name that tune. For months I kept an ear out for the ad again, so that I may find out what this tune is called. Sods Law eh? If it was an anoying little ditty being performed by a frog, I'd have heard it a thousand times since.

Then one day I was watching a Die Hard film (the one at the Airport). Low and behold, when Bruce Willis goes down into the bowels of the airport, this tune is playing on the Janitors record player. This is obviously a much earlier version, as it is being performed by the Beverly sisters (or it certainly sounds like them).

Then one day, as an outside chance, I play a small snatch of it on the piano for my mother. She's then says, "Oh yes, that's a really old one, I think it was the Beverly sisters, but I can't remember what it's called". I then ask her if she can remember any of the words, so that I may look it up on google. Yes it goes "If You la la la la la la la la la. No sorry, I can't rember the words, was it something about the seaside?"

So the question is, can anyone name the tune on the Janitors record player in Die Hard (2 I think). Then Even better, can anyone tell me who released it as a single just a few years ago? The later version had some really mellow trumpet playing in it.

Sponsored Links
Try finding the credits for the Die Hard film, it should be listed there.

How about here

ferdinanddebargos said:
Is it 'Old Cape Cod' by Patti Page :?:
Yes it is, and the new version you're after is "At The River" by Groove Armada, which sampled "Old Cape Cod".

:D

Sponsored Links
You chaps are just incredible. Eddie, I did try the credit listing but they don't give it any credit. Perhaps it's old enough to be used without crediting the original artist. It was, after all just a snip, playing on an old record player in the back ground.

I really wouldn't believe my quest was over until I could actually hear the track for myself. Unfortunately all of the sample clips I found on the net were of a section that I had never heard before. Although it sounded promissing, still no trumpet or voices.

After several hours of searching the net I finally found a link to the whole thing that actually works.. Groove Armada. At the river. I really like that middle bit.

My eternal thanks to all of you. :D

TexMex said:
You chaps are just incredible.
Awww :oops: , thanks! :LOL:

So I take it you are fond of sand dunes and salty air, then? ;)

I have the Patti Page original too if you're interested and your email will take a 2.5 meg attachment?

ninebob said:
I have the Patti Page original too if you're interested and your email will take a 2.5 meg attachment?
Yes I would. I've still only heard the snip in the film. With such little to go on, I just wasn't getting anywhere. I'd even considered paying for the film, just to record that little snip, to help my research. Bearing in mind it was released in 1957, it seems amazing that I have never heard it.

The mailbox in my profile has plenty of spare space. Please :)

Well it seemed to send OK, but I have a nagging feel that hotmail at your end has a cap on message size. Hopefully it'll be OK, if not email me and I'll send it through MSN or something.

P.S. I have a 2mb connection and it took about a minute to upload, so I hope you have broadband!

If anyone has any other music queries this might be a good time to point out that I'm a part-time DJ! I play all stuff and prefer dance/chart - but I do a monthly "Golden Oldies Night" so I have lots and lots of ancient and/or obscure stuff as well......

Downloaded from Hotmail last night in no time. Now the really strange thing is, I then tried to download it a second time, to actually time the download, but hotmail was then reporting that it is infected with an unidentified virus blah.. blah...

Now this morning it's clean again :eek: and only takes 6 seconds to download the entire 2,537,472 bytes. (diference between upstream and downstream I suppose). A binary FC confirms that it is still identical to the first download.

Anyhow. Thanks again.

Fantastic work, lads!

If you're ever stuck for id'ing music, Shazam has a great mobile service.

Dial 2580 (straight down the middle) and point your handset at the music, and wait till it cuts you off. Then a few ticks later you get an artist and song title!

Tried it with Scissor Sisters that is playing on the PC, and it came back correctly with Take Your Mama.

They even offer you the ring tone too, for a fee, of course!

securespark said:
If you're ever stuck for id'ing music, Shazam has a great mobile service.
Ah but but with shazam you actually have to catch the tune while it is being played and costs something like 59p. Whereas the DIYnot forum folk can recognise music, just from a bit of verbal description and totally free :cool:

Sponsored Links
Back