The shame of Grenfell

Ah, yes, that's who it is

"Cameron claims victory in bonfire of the Building Regulations"
27 January 2014

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk...ictory-in-bonfire-of-the-building-regulations

I wonder who benefitted?

"a move which he claimed would save around £60 million a year for housebuilders"

Well, bless my soul! Who could have seen that coming?

"Bonfire," eh?

There is little substance in that article. It doesn't cover what regulations were removed.

I'm not saying your wrong, just other than the title, there is little of note within.

https://www.counterfire.org/news/20...he-firefighters-who-are-to-blame-for-grenfell

Sponsored Links
But the supplier celotex and this Arco company circumvented the system by fiddling the safety data sheets to show old information so they didn't have to admit the new stuff was no good....
Had the cladding and insulation suppliers not lied about the safety data sheets their material wouldn't have been specified and wouldn't have passed building control and inspection.
I think there's two different issues here:
  1. The government and other local officials knew from previous incidents that there was a problem, and failed to act. Falling back on claimed performance stats, by the manufacturer, is trying to shift the blame. They are both culpable. But officials should have reacted to their awareness and sought legal reparations from the manufacturer.

Though to be honest I don't believe it came down to who was in the flats.
  1. The type of residents (or any actors in any situation) can influence the amount of attention that governments and local authorities apply to issues. Different strata of society have varying degrees of influence on official decisions. Different strata of society have varying degrees of trust in, and expectations of response from, official organisations and this will influence a) the amount of effort that they put into trying to influence those organisations, and b) will influence their expectations in response form those organisations. This has a great effect and influence the amount of effort put in. (low expectations of output causes reduced input). It's a downward spiral of minimum response -> minimum effort -> minimum response etc.

That the government wouldn't update fire safety standards? Even when asked to? After previous examples of fires in multi-story homes?

Because that's their job.

That we had a government opposed to regulation and standards and safety?

Because that was their policy.

View attachment 223444

Who do you think is in charge of English Building Regulations?

Unicorns?
You lot always go on about what a pile of crap the Daily Mail Is.....Unless of course you are using it to help with a point that you agree with.Hypocrite rather than Unicorn.

A 25k donation is not very much

eh?

"Builders who use Grenfell cladding give Tories £2.5m"
George Grylls, Louisa Clarence-Smith
Saturday February 13 2021, 12.01am, The Times

"Property developers who built flats covered in dangerous cladding have donated £2.5 million to the Conservative Party since the Grenfell Tower fire in 2017, analysis has found.

Boris Johnson has personally received £50,000 from individuals with links to the cladding debacle."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/builders-grenfell-cladding-give-tories-2-5m-5c9gwvhrb

Sponsored Links
You silly man.

Pointing out what the Tory press says, does not imply approval.
Except when it suites you because it agrees with your argument...Dopy scottish git.Mail is toilet paper except when it carries a message you agree with....

eh?

"Builders who use Grenfell cladding give Tories £2.5m"
George Grylls, Louisa Clarence-Smith
Saturday February 13 2021, 12.01am, The Times

"Property developers who built flats covered in dangerous cladding have donated £2.5 million to the Conservative Party since the Grenfell Tower fire in 2017, analysis has found.

Boris Johnson has personally received £50,000 from individuals with links to the cladding debacle."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/builders-grenfell-cladding-give-tories-2-5m-5c9gwvhrb

In the link posted (which was to your favourite guardian newspaper) and of which I quoted from tigercubrider said...

A major shareholder in Arconic, the company that made Grenfell Tower’s combustible cladding, donated nearly £25,000 to Boris Johnson and the Conservative party, it has emerged. The most recent donation was recorded in 2017, the year in which Arconic’s plastic-filled panels were the main cause of the rapid spread of fire that killed 72 people.

The bereaved and survivors on Tuesday night called on the prime minister to return the money to Elliott Advisors UK, the British arm of a US private equity company that has a 10% holding in the $14bn (£10.4bn) annual turnover business.

the whole article was about this £25k

i was only talking in reference to that one article.

refereing to other stories, why should the government and private owners pay for the remedial work on flats which have flammable cladding?

why not force the building owners to do it, or the company which specified it, or the company who supplied the cladding based on falsified tests?

no, lets shaft average joe instead.

Last edited:
I included one link, with a recommendation to search Google.
Mainly because property companies have given so much to the Tories that I thought nobody would thank me for a massive list

"The Conservatives just voted against putting vital Grenfell Inquiry recommendations into law.

And they voted down protections for leaseholders so they are no longer burdened with the costs of fixing problems they did not cause."

Wow, who could have seen that coming?

My customer is a barrister for one of the largest private landlords in the country (over 400000 properties) He said it’s a nightmare. The builders don’t want any responsibility after24 months. The architects & QS’s who speced the products to be used all liquidated their companies. NHBC are a waste of space. Any inquiries involving French companies tell you everything you need to know about the French. They have the morals & attitude of Prince Andrew.

Sponsored Links
Back