my bathroom extractor fan lets the cold air in!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extractor fan in my bathroom that comes on when the main power cord for the shower is pulled. The extractor is in the ceiling and is not flush to the ceiling. It does not have any way to shut this so it lets the cold air into the bathroom, its like having a window open all the time. I have looked in to the vent part in the bathroom and I can see a tube, like you sometimes see on tumble dryers to vent the moisture outside. The tube leads to the side of the the house in the loft and the vent can be seen on the side of the house from outside. It is a constant open vent that lets a lot of air in all the time (not just on windy days). fine in the warmer months but last winter it was really cold.

Is there anything that I can buy to fit over the top of this to help with the problem. What would be good is something that would have a pull cord so I could open it when the extractor is being used and close again after. I have this same problem with the vent in my kitchen window but in the winter I just cover it up with clingfilm to solve the problem. dont really want to do the same thing with this as would have to keep going on a step lader to take it off and put it back on. Please can anyone help as it can get really cold in my bathroom. It was so bad this winter just gone I have to put a draught excluder at the bottom of the bathroom door as it was making the upstairs of the house cold.

I would be greatful for any advice.
Thanks and I hope I have given enough information.

Sponsored Links
Agree with rjm2k, those types are available fo most configurations i.e. round, square, big, small.
Plus you may want to consider this range (ICON brand, there may be others) of fans as they have a self closing Iris which only opens up when the fan is running, shown half open here.
$(KGrHqJ,!mIE9I6wh-NCBPUJK2HiEw~~60_1.JPG

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend a cowel vent on the outside. The cowl, or hood, keeps the rain out and reduces wind effects, and there is a flap that opens to let the fan blow through. The brown colour tones OK with brickwork, but you can apply non-drip gloss oil paint if you want to change the colour.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...yl3tLySwRKTLs!-980593536?fh_search=cowel+vent

don't get the sort with little flaps like a venetian blind as they rattle annoying in the wind, until they break off.

Thanks to every one for your help. So am i right in thinking that i will need to have part of the extractor changed so the inside has closing parts? I was hoping just to fit something over the existing vent in bathroom. But if i need new bits i will get an electrician to do it, i have one coming to install a heater in my babies room soon so maybe i will ask them but i think i will start looking at buying a new extractor. i might even really go for it and have a heater put in bathroom as well and maybe wont get ice this winter! Thanks again and if anyone has any more tips and advice i would love to hear.
claire.

just another question for David937. The product you showed looks useful, would i just put that in to the pipe/tube i can see by removing the cover and just placing inside tube thing. Or am i way off with that?
claire

i would never be able to get to the outside of the house where the outside vent part is. its right at the top of house at the back but cant just put a ladder up to it. below it (getting in the way) is a single story utility room it has a slopped roof so cant even put a ladder on that. i could put a ladder up the side of the house but its to far in to reach. is there anything that can go inside my bathroom or am i going to have extractor replaced ?

The inline vent should be ok but can you post a photo of the inside and without getting up a ladder, what you can of the outside?

Yeah, looks like the outside has no flaps at all, try to measure the diameter of the pipe inside to make sure the inline one will work and it should just be a matter of taking the pipe off the inside vent or somewhere along the pipe and attaching the inline vent between the 2. you may have to access it from the loft. The instructions should tell you the best place to put it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back