My Bathroom in Pictures..

connected the taps before the bath was secured in place. had a fair bit of movement with the flex's, so could get behind the bath to connect them, then secure the bath in place afterwards ;)

Sponsored Links
hope you never have to change them ;)

Im a plumber who fits bathrooms for a living and all i can say
is
Great job !! wanna a job ;)

Can I see PTFE tape on the thread of your compression joints? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Can I see PTFE tape on the thread of your compression joints? icon_confused.gif

Why would that be a problem????? : :eek:

PTFE tape isn't needed on compression joints. A light smear of jointing compound (eg. Boss White) if you must put something on.

Great job by the way!!

Only words of caution is I hope you invested in good quality bath taps. Those will be a bugger to replace if not.

It always makes me wonder why people insist on putting ptfe (polytetraflouroethylene) tape on compression joints. They need nothing on them!
They work by the compression of a softer olive etc, being squashed (compressed!!) against the pipe itself, to create a watertight, gastight seal.

Never understood it. PTFE tape can be used on threaded joints, hence it's often called thread tape.
Anyway, hope it doesn't leak. It's not likely to, but not because the tape was put on it.

Typical, I have the same problem.
You do a very nice job, then your partner clutters it up with all that kak at the nicely tiled end of the bath. :LOL:

You do a very nice job, then your partner clutters it up with all that kak at the nicely tiled end of the bath. :LOL:

When I did ours, instead of tiling the whole bit at the end I made a recess to fit a tray, which is filled with marble chips with little candles and a plant on top... stops the missus cluttering it up without annoying her because "it looks pretty".

When I did ours, instead of tiling the whole bit at the end I made a recess to fit a tray, which is filled with marble chips with little candles and a plant on top... stops the missus cluttering it up without annoying her because "it looks pretty".

Good plan, always helps if it's pretty. Maybe if I make my newly plastered and painted walls pretty enough it will stop the love of my life hammering nails in everywhere to hang pics....

A friend of mine who helped me fit my electric shower insisted that you had to put PTFE tape on compression fittings, or they would start to leak after about 6 months. I tried to explain to him how it was the olive that made it watertight, not the thread etc etc, but he wouldn't believe me...

I suppose the only argument for it is if you're in a situation where there could be a a lot of vibration, the PTFE tape will make the thread 'tighter' (similar to how a nylock nut works), so it's less likely to come loose?

only used ptfe on compressions where the nut has been nipped up too tight and squashed the olive so far into copper that it then wont nip up tight enough to form a seal. normally its dark, late, outside, raining, cold, etc and if it holds, it stays!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back