Tileing, new to it just a couple of questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to retile a section of my bathroom as current tiles are coming off the wall and can't use shower without water getting down behind said tiles, soaking the floor under the bath and then into the ceiling of the room below.

Anyway, I've never tiled before so I'm thinking I'll trall some YouTube vids on it. But if anyone can provide links to really good ones they know of it would save me some time and I'd be grateful :)

So next thing is where to get the tiles. I don't drive and bought where I live cos it was cheap, haven't made many friends yet, at least ones with cars that I feel comfortable asking to drive me around.

A quick google (I live in CT9 1SB) and the following shops pop up as bus cachable to. I only need a few cheap tiles, any required tools and the grout stuff. What I'm asking here is where would you go if cheap and chearful was your prefered option: (I'm not even sure if all of these actually sell what I need or are national chains that you will have heard of)
-Travis Perkins
-B&Q
-Topps Tiles
-Tile Giant
-Easy Bathrooms and Tiles
-Wickes
-Wilkos

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Why are the tiles falling off the walls? The preparation and suitability of the substrate are key.

It might also be worth considering wall panels which have moved on massively in terms of quality, sure it won't be "tiled" but they can look good and are minimal fuss.

The property is old and was rented out for many years by the previous owner who by the looks of the place when I bought it (dirt cheap) had not been very kean on maintaining the property correctly for their tennants. This was not a problem at first as I had a good friend who was a qualified sparky but also knew pretty much everything else about property maintenence. Although he was off work due to requireing medical treatment he was more than willing to help me renovate the place. Sadly his condition worsened to the extent he is now unable to do so.

Anyway, we (he really, I'm not very good at DIY) put up a simple tap to shower head connection over the bath. We knew the tiles needed extending upwards but he got sick(er) before he could do it for me. Now I just bath, but I kinda hate bathing and would much rather shower.

I considered the wall panels but the hight between the top of the bath/start of tiles and the shower head fitting is only a little over 1.4m, cutting panels myself isn't something I fancy doing and getting them pre-cut to size fairly expensive. Like so many over the pandemic my finances have suffered and I need to do this as cheap as possible, just so I can shower again. Making it look nice is irrelevant. I don't want to sell and when my finances improve I'll have the whole batroom ripped out to fit what I want where I want it but that simply isn't on the horizon atm.

Here are a couple of picks IMG_20210531_114249071.jpg IMG_20210531_114259376.jpg
So the plan in my DIY inexperienced brain is to remove the tiles that are coming off, reattach them properly. Use new tiles to extend the coverage upwards towards the shower head and the silicon seal everthing around the edges.

I know you're tight for cash, but all of those tiles need to come off - especially in the wet areas. They haven't been done correctly else they wouldn't be coming away. I would go with the reccomendation above and get shower panels, if you cant cut a shower panel with a jigsaw and fix with silicone, then with tiles you will need way more kit and experience.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I don't even have a drill let alone a jig. Me ex has all my old stuff and has made it clear it's staying with her even thou she can't change a fuse. Not that I had a jigsaw anyway. Closest I've ever had is a hand saw.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm best off scrapeing the cash for a pro to do it from what you say. Such is life, guess I will have to keep bathing and not showering for a while :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back