MY COOKER HOOD ISNT EARTHED, SHUD I WORRY?

Sponsored Links
If it has come from the factory like this, then yes.

Look for a double insulated symbol on the appliance - a square in a square.

These days, many appliances are double insulated, requiring no earth.

juliehankie said:
HI, I HAVE JUST GOR A NEW CHIMNEY HOOD, STAINLESS STEEL, IT ONLY HAS BLUE AND BROWN WIRES - IS THIS OK?

is my car doin OK on fuel?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TheStirrer said:
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.Spotty virgins who say they are mods but then say they are not are normally sarcastic.

1: i aint spotty
2: i aint a virgin
3: i aint a mod and you'd know that if you read all my signature

please note 10a which is here

Why? As Lectrician said if it is double insulated which, since there is no cpc in the flex it almost certainly is, it doesn't require earthing. It will also say in the manual if it requires earthed.
I think it is a bit OTT to run a 4mm² cable all the way back to the MET. At most, if I really, really, really wanted to earth a double insulated device, (I can't think of any reason why I would though), I would change the flex to 3core and earth at the fsu / plug.

Sponsored Links
It is a riduculous thing to do for two reasons:

Modifying a product will render the warranty null and void, and may make the appliance dangerous, not safer.

Don't forget, it is double insulated and any metalwork will be isolated by design from contact with live parts. If you had a double insulated light fitting with a metallic shade, you wouldn't earth the shade would you? Let alone earth it in 4mm² bck to the MET?

Crazy.

If it is DI, leave it alone!

Kai - you are a dangerous fool.

Have you not grasped the fact that DI appliances MUST NOT BE EARTHED?

If the unit is NOT double-insulated then you need to earth it.

Some foreign units do not say whether they are double insulated or not, yet you can easily see live parts just behind a venting grille - if a child were to poke a screwdriver or metallic object into the slot, at least there will be a chance that the current will short out to earth, blowing the fuse in the process, and not electrocute the child.

The question here is, "is the unit built to the appropriate standards (BS (EN) / CE whatever?)" If not, afaik they shouldn't have been sold it within the UK.

ban-all-sheds said:
Have you not grasped the fact that DI appliances MUST NOT BE EARTHED?

They are just appliances built with higher standards of insulation than class 1 appliances.

if you do earth them you increase the number of earths in the area which can be a bad thing if other appliances are faulty but you decrease the danger in the case that the "double insulation" isn't really all its cracked up to be.

its off the internet - the dishwasher came with a european plug - so i wondered if the hood too was foreign? and therefore had different wiring

hmm that link seems to have lots of stuff about how the law should be read but i can't find the law itself!

juliehankie said:
its off the internet - the dishwasher came with a european plug - so i wondered if the hood too was foreign? and therefore had different wiring
now i'm really confused the hoods a cooker hood not a dishwasher hood ;) and above everyone is criticising Kai before the time he actually posted?? and he did say in the post if it WASNT double insulated.

As an interesing thread hijack, IIRC, amercian metal cased toasters arn't class 1, I suppose they could be class 2, but at the time I read about it, I got into my mind that they were class 0 (though I do sometimes manage to confuse things in my head)

The reason is because you might get a person trying to fork a piece of stuck toast while resting their other hand on the caseing of the toaster

Just a situation which highlights the fact that earths arn't neccessarily a good thing...

plugwash said:
hmm that link seems to have lots of stuff about how the law should be read but i can't find the law itself!
HINT - when you get to the bottom of the page, and you find a link labelled "Continue":

continue.jpg

click on it. Do the same at the foot of every succeeding page until you come to the last one ;)

divider.gif

kendor said:
above everyone is criticising Kai before the time he actually posted?? and he did say in the post if it WASNT double insulated.
Kai did post before I did - I may have many amazing talents, but unfortunately precognition is not one of them.

IIRC he said nothing about "if not DI", and just advised bunging a self-tapper into the metalwork of the hood.

Presumably he then changed his post to just :oops: and it was removed as per the rules?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back