My Front Door : Can it be updated ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Slowly i'm working around the bungalow i rent & trying to update as i go.

Finances are an issue & because i am renting, i'm not wanting to replace the door itself.

Below is a photo of my (horrific ) front door from outside & inside ... I'm just about to decorate the hallway & feel the front door is a big dissapointment, not only from the inside but also from outside

The previous tenants have painted it gloss white front & back but seemed to have got as much gloss paint on the surrounding brickwork outside as they have on the door .... Is this removeable ??

The gloss looks tired & faded, there is black mould marks around the glass where it meets the wood.

The glass seems dirty & doesnt want to clean up

The whole door needs a general update & i'm looking for some inspiration ... can i achieve this & can people give me some tips & general advice on best way & products to use.

Many Thanks

FrontDoor.jpg

FrontDoor2.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
As you are renting I would keep it simple, a good clean removing all black mould, caulk where required, paint with good quality paint.

Removing paint from brickwork is a painful process, you can buy graffiti removal products from diy sheds or cleaning supply shops.

be aware that the glass and the letterbox make it easy to undo the chain and open the latch from outside. Use the deadlock. Don't leave the key in the lock (at night, put it in a hook out of sight from the door)

Consider fitting a deadlocking nightlatch if your existing one does not have this facilty (inside knob needs to be key-lockable due to glass and letterbox)

It's really the glass that looks dated but if you're renting there's not much you can do about that. You also have to consider that the door might be right' for the style of bungalow. However, white gloss paint is very unforgiving once it starts to look tatty. Eggshell is a different matter. Farrow and Ball do exterior eggshell in great colours that will make a real difference to your door. http://www.farrow-ball.com/categorylist.aspx?cid=PFEE&language=en-GB

Sponsored Links
Excellent & quick advice as ever ... many thanks

Out of interest if i wanted to change the door could i use the existing frame ???

yes of course but examine it for flimsiness first. A new frame is not very expensive.

if it was your own house I would always recommend a fairly solid hardwood door (there are some that have small glass panes in but substantial wood between the panes, so you couldn't shoulder it away.

The more wood there is in a door, the dearer it is (and stronger)

I have Alicante style.
Alicantef.jpg

but it might not suit everyone

you can paint them.

paint grade should be cheaper than stain grade (if you can get them) and a slightly marked door can be painted and look perfect (if you are counting the pennies)

you may need to use a better primer (e.g. aluminium) depending on the timber.

it is terribly important to paint or otherwise protect the top and bottom of an external door which are often neglected as not on show.

the one in your link is a good price but is not solid hardwood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back