My genius worktop idea... Hopefully!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently planning a new kitchen. Due to the layout of my flat (kitchen opens out into living room) I have had an idea. Instead of a permanently situated bar between the two (as is currently the case), I could have a fold-down worktop for munching-on purposes, that is hidden away in a custom-built wall-cupboard when not in use. Here is what I mean. Figure 2 should be "in use", not "stowed" :oops:

worktop.JPG

As you can see, the worktop folds up into two sections. Worktop 1 would be attached to the wall, and when folded down would be supported primarily by the hinges attaching it to the wall (sturdy masonry), with a "bump stop" provided by the static worktop it would also rest on at that end. There would be a wooden baton to space it far enough away from the wall to allow it to hinge upwards properly. Worktop 2 would be supported by a detachable leg assembly at it's far end, and there would be two slide across "bolts" of wood on the underside, that would hold the middle joint rigid.

What my question is, is what type of screws will provide a strong enough "bite" into a laminate worktop material to do this? Unfortunately my budget can't stretch to hardwood block. As I see it there are two approaches:

1) drive the screws into the end grain, using at least 3" screws to avoid the material crumbling due to a concentrated strain on it.

2) drive the screws in from the underside of the worktops. This would mean screws of 1 1/4" absolute maximum, but hopefully would be less likely to knacker the material. :idea:

At each joint I would use 3 hinges, 3 screw holes in each side of each hinge. If I was driving into the end grain I think I would only use 2 screw holes on each side. Or would piano hinges be better? :confused:

Sponsored Links
outer hinge could be a piano hinge with loads of no4 by inch[or less ]
would be more than strong enough assuming its about 18 inch +at
6 screws a foot or counter hinges or counter hinge

your hinge at the wall would of course have to be on top or again
counter hinges sunk in or piano hinges with half the knuckle showing
about 2mm

counter hinges give you flush with the worktop finnish [on top or underneath]

big all

Is a counter hinge the same type of thing they use on hinge-up bars in... bars?

The hinge on top at the wall end wouldn't be a problem: I would hinge the bottom 2 inches or so of the stowage-cupboard door, so I could close the door after folding down the worktop.

Cheers All, looks like it might be a goer. I had been trying drilling different sized holes into a spare bit of old worktop (seems cheap quality) and screwing in no. 8 screws, then pulling them out with a claw hammer to see how well they held and was surprised with just some plain zinc-plated woodscrews. I suppose with 6 screws a foot it should be fine (600mm top, so 12 screws on each side of the hinge).

Would you recommend a particular type of screw, or do you think good-quality steel wood screws would be OK?

Sponsored Links
Is this anygood ? The 2 chairs are tuck away behind table when folded down. (price seem a bit a bargain to me!) If not, I try and think of your first plan, how big the table area and were you thinking of a swinging folding leg off the wall etc.....

another point what ever leg arrangement you use you will
if you have a hinge at the front[which i would mount underneath not on
the end to allow the worktop to meet on top]your leg would probably
have to be within 2 inches from the the end otherwise if you lean on the
edge your toast will be propelled towards the celling
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big all

Thanks Masona and Jason for those two ideas. I have been thinking about how I could install them, but due to size constraints (small flat) they won't really go.

The only place I could mount the wall-hung table would mean one person would be sitting right by the bathroom door... could be rather embarassing if one finds the need to nip in there during a romantic meal for 2! :oops:

The slide out one looks like a very clever idea, but would mean one person would have their back right against the fridge: could be a bu**er if you fancy grabbing a bottle of chilled white.

I also considered one of those fold up tables where the chairs slot in, but due to the Sylvanian Families size of the flat, it would have to be left out in the living room. :LOL:

No, a fold-down worktop it has to be. The toast-propelling capabilities will be sadly reduced by the installation of some slide-across "bolts" of wood or metal that should increase the rigidity across the hinged joint. I will look at the woodfit site for the concealed counter hinges, they seem to have a big range of speciality hinges.

Thanks again guys

another thought if you put a piece of worktop by the wall about 3 times
the thickness of your top assuming about 40mm 120mm is just enough
to take the centre of gravity just beyond the bottom hinge
so you would just fold it up and forget

although you would have to experiment to find the depth required

big all

The only problem I find with piano hinge they don't seem to be wide enough unless you can get them wider otherwise you could find the screw hole too near the edge of the worktop maybe ??? You also find you need to rebate the hinge in unless you don't mind a small gap between the 2 worktop.
I have done a similar with my wife sowing table extension with a parliament hinge which I feel is a lot stronger support underneath. I also drilled an extra hole in the parliament hinge nearer the hinge size. They can be expensive so shop around, I've bought some steel one at 80p each.
hinges4.gif

You can't have that, but "Nymphos in Novas volume 12" is up for sale, as is "Debbie takes big loads in her Asstra estate volume 9"

Surely to buy a big house I wouldn't need to sell ALL the p0rn, 50% should do it... Le*bian Spank Inferno volumes 1-100 should raise a fare old cash sum

Just struck me it would be quite amusing if the vice squad had a clamp down... a bit like the time I was listening to the news on the radio and they quoted David Blunkett as saying "I haven't seen the report". :LOL: No-one else in the car thought it was funny.

Right, I think I have plenty of knowledge on hinges and stuff, just need to plan the rest of the kitchen. Anyone know how I can custom build a 6kW deepfat fryer into an oven carcass? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back