My hammer drill popped an external brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was drilling through the external wall to feed through a copper pipe for an outdoor tap. My plan was to stop the hammer action as I got close to the end but...

End result: a third of the brick is missing and I don't have anything to mount the tap bracket to. Fortunately, the bricks are painted externally, so I could use a "filler" and then paint this to match. I don't want to purchase a huge bag of something and was wondering if there is a small inexpensive product I can buy for this repair.

Please note that I need to be able to drill and screw into it.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I was drilling through the external wall to feed through a copper pipe for an outdoor tap. My plan was to stop the hammer action as I got close to the end but...

End result: a third of the brick is missing and I don't have anything to mount the tap bracket to. Fortunately, the bricks are painted externally, so I could use a "filler" and then paint this to match. I don't want to purchase a huge bag of something and was wondering if there is a small inexpensive product I can buy for this repair.

Please note that I need to be able to drill and screw into it.

Thanks in advance.

Best way would be to chop the brick out replace and redo.

I’ve now soldered the tap fittings too..
The external bricks are old and far from perfect. I’d prefer a repair solution if this was possible please.

Well you could try mortar, but there's a good chance it will blow off (ooo errr) after a while.

Sponsored Links
You could try car body filler or even (shoddy but many do it) expanding foam. The body filler will give you a better paintable surface, you might get away with drilling & plugging it but prob safer to get some long screws & drill whats left ofthe brick :)

Are you using a rear entry tap?

If so, use a bottom entry tap and mount the tap above the blown brick. You could then fill the blown brick with mortar and then paint over.

PS Treat yourself to an SDS drill and a nice long 6mm bit (or go up to 8mm if you have to for the length) and use that as your pilot drill next time.

Are you using a rear entry tap?
Yes, but the pipe is already connected to the tap. It’s an integral part of this. The other end is soldered into the copper tee.

PS Treat yourself to an SDS drill and a nice long 6mm bit (or go up to 8mm if you have to for the length) and use that as your pilot drill next time.

I own a Bosch SDS drill.

Very intrigued by this as I can see this problem reoccurring.
Is it possible to get a long 6mm bit? Will do some digging
When using the long 6mm for the pilot hole, do I use the hammer action for the entire hole? Does this also not blow the brick?

Presumably, I then follow up with the long 20mm bit or wherever the size might be. With this, do I use drill mode (not hammer)?

The copper pipe is an integral part of the female fitting that the tap screws into

Yes, but the pipe is already connected to the tap. It’s an integral part of this. The other end is soldered into the copper tee.

So un solder the other end and do something like the tap in the link below outside. The tap could be above, below, or to the side of the blown area of brick.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...et-against-wall-royalty-free-image/1208755094

Its annoying to have to undo some of the work that you've already done, but it means a proper job where you don't need to worry about the tap coming loose in the future.

Amazon has many, think mine is 6 x 360 giving 300 working length.
I usually use hammer all the way through with the 6 then hammer from both sides with the larger bit. If you can't get to 1 side then yes worth trying the last 20mm without hammer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back