My hotpoint wd865 blew up bang with a smell of smoke

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my wd865 washer/drier went bang and stopped working. There are no lights coming on. And I can smell smoke from the computer module located at the lower back right of the inside of the machine.
Does anybody know how to fix this? And how much would a new computer module cost to replace.[/b]

Sponsored Links
Be aware...if you buy a brand new pcb it won't come programmed. You would need a smart card/card reader to do this, and they cost as much as the pcb itself. Why not call or sent it to these people http://www.emwelec.co.uk/ A recon pcb wouldn't need programming either.
I should also add...pcb damage is often secondary & caused by other electrical components shorting out (particularly the door switch). Make sure everything is good before you fire up again.

Be aware...if you buy a brand new pcb it won't come programmed. You would need a smart card/card reader to do this, and they cost as much as the pcb itself. Why not call or sent it to these people http://www.emwelec.co.uk/ A recon pcb wouldn't need programming either.
I should also add...pcb damage is often secondary & caused by other electrical components shorting out (particularly the door switch). Make sure everything is good before you fire up again.

The washing machine has a smartcard reader? Or does an EPROM need programming? Can the EEPROM be switched across to the new PCB? Why does a memory card have to be installed after a PCB replacement, what information does it learn? Confused..is the chip socketed? Can you flash your own eprom, to make the machine work wonders?

Smart card/ card reader..I'd like to learn more to make my machine quieter, and faster...wheres the card slot in my machine?

Sponsored Links
The EPROM is a blank chip on the pcb it has to be configured to the mc ,hence you need a smart card which is like a credit card that slots into a card reader that plugs into the socket at the rear on the left it's got a blank cover over it. If you buy a brand new pcb it will not work without beening chipped. You could desolder the old EPROM it's like a 30 legged spider but if you short or bend the legs it's useless,send the faulty pcb to emw they will repair and rechip it for 40.00. New pcb £80.00 card reader£100.00 smart card a tenner is a no brainer really.

The EPROM is a blank chip on the pcb it has to be configured to the mc ,hence you need a smart card which is like a credit card that slots into a card reader that plugs into the socket at the rear on the left it's got a blank cover over it. If you buy a brand new pcb it will not work without beening chipped. You could desolder the old EPROM it's like a 30 legged spider but if you short or bend the legs it's useless,send the faulty pcb to emw they will repair and rechip it for 40.00. New pcb £80.00 card reader£100.00 smart card a tenner is a no brainer really.

I'm amazed that a machine like this has an Eprom in the first place, but also a card reader to reprogramme it! What does the Eprom learn, onsite, that isn't available on a normal machine? And why would the Eprom be spider formation, rather than DIL, as used as standard? Why would a machine have to learn onsite?

It's OK to download an upgrade CD to install in a DVD player to add extra features...but in a washing machine? They wash clothes. I'd love to see the manual/service manual for this machine. Why the need to upgrade ad-hoc.

This only relates to hotpoint and indesit /ariston mcs not only Wm but dishwashers cookers and fridge freezers all have EPROMs .it updates the soft ware same as melie but not in the same class ,it's been like it for 5 years you can see what program is used most ,and out of balance loads etc big brother is watching you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back