My New House Incomer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone confirm if this is a PME supply? I have been to the house I am in the process of buying to get quote for some work, so took some photos of the electric supply.

The earth cable seems very thin to me, what do you think?

Also the CU has no RCD, I plan to get a sparks in to replaced this with split board, Will the DNO upgrade the 60A fuse also?

Sponsored Links
Can anyone confirm if this is a PME supply?

That green label on the cable head is a big giveaway :rolleyes:

The earth cable would be upgraded when your spark does the CU change. It is supposed to be 16mm² for a PME (TNC-S) supply.
It will be a dual RCD board. split load boards usually don't comply with the BS7671(2008) requirements for RCDs in most houses..

Sponsored Links
You would need to ask the DNO to upgrade the fuse but you've only got a small installation - from the look of the consumer unit. Why do you need more - are you planning big electric shower, heated swimming pool, or something?

Earth cable size hard to tell from the pic Looks like maybe 10mm².
The size is the cross sectional area of the copper, not the diameter of the cable sheath.

You would need to ask the DNO to upgrade the fuse but you've only got a small installation - from the look of the consumer unit. Why do you need more - are you planning big electric shower, heated swimming pool, or something?

Earth cable size hard to tell from the pic Looks like maybe 10mm².
The size is the cross sectional area of the copper, not the diameter of the cable sheath.

Cheers,
I am having a large induction cooker installed and a 10Kw Electric Shower. At the moment the property has an all gas cooker, and crappy hand shower.

The earth cable is DEFIANTLY not 10mm it is 4 or 6 The outside diameter was about 5mm on the tape measure.

Once I have signed contracts, I will get the DNO in to check it out for me :)

Do not change from gas for the hob.

Ban

I HATE gas with a passion. I know for hob it is the best, BUT I have a brand new Rangemaster Induction, that was given as a present, and I have induction here at the moment and i LOVE it so much.

Funny the house is coming with a All Gas Rangemaster, oven and top. It will be taken it pretty soon.

Guess its a person preference this kind of thing.

Yes, as pointed out you have a 60A supply, it may be capable of being uprated to 100A, but as you are adding additional load (cooker and shower) you cannot do this without permission of the DNO (it will be buried in their terms of supply)

Yes, as pointed out you have a 60A supply, it may be capable of being uprated to 100A, but as you are adding additional load (cooker and shower) you cannot do this without permission of the DNO (it will be buried in their terms of supply)

Great, no problems, im new to all this, so just getting my head round it, do I need to get DNO in first to check and update, or get the sparks in to fit the new CU, then get DNO in to connect?

Thanks for all the help guys, this buying your 1st house is a nightmare :)

You can phone the DNO and ask them to upgrade the fuse if possible and i would ask if you can have an isolator fitted as well as you are going to need to isolate the supply when you upgrade the fuse board. Will save time and money when the time comes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back