My New House Incomer

The earthing looks like PME, as it emerges from the side of the service fuse holder block - where is the lower half of the service fuse holder block? - the lower half normally covers up the unsightly incoming cables. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I HATE gas with a passion. I know for hob it is the best.
A bit of a conflict there.....

Not really, I do not want gas, it's quite easy, everyone says gas is best for hob, but I would have induction any day over gas.

Anyway dont see what that matters, seems I need to get onto DNO and the sparks when I move in end of this month.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
where is the lower half of the service fuse holder block? - the lower half normally covers up the unsightly incoming cables. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That incomer does not have a lower cover which is why they have used the boot over the end of the cable. If it had a lower cover which was missing you would not have a boot, you would see the red single core and bare concentric neutral bunched.

The earth cable would be upgraded when your spark does the CU change. It is supposed to be 16mm² for a PME (TNC-S) supply.

It could have been sized with the adiabatic equation, resulting in a size less than 16mm, as it is PME the bonding requirements would also have to be considered, so 10mm would then be the smallest CSA for the earthing and bonding conductors [Table 54.8]

The PME earthing terminal shall not be made available to the customer unless:

11.3.1 A main equipotential bond of not less than the copper equivalent area shown in Table 2 is installed to bond the incoming metallic gas and water services to the customers’ protective conductors; and

11.3.2 Other exposed metalwork in the premises which is directly connected to or in contact with metalwork buried in the ground is also bonded to the PME earth terminal using conductors of size as detailed in Table 2. Note that such bonds are also main equipotential bonds; and that telecommunication cables are exempt from the requirements of this paragraph 11.3.2.

The method of bonding gas service pipes to customer’s earth terminals shall be in
accordance with the BS7671. Figure C3 in Appendix C shows an example of such bonding.

TABLE 2
Copper equivalent cross section of **** service neutral conductor/
Minimum copper equivalent cross section of main equipotential bonding conductors
not greater than 35mm2/10mm2
over 35mm2 to 50mm2/16mm2
over 50 mm2 to 95mm2/25mm2
over 95mm2 to 150mm235mm2
over 150mm2/50mm2

So is the earth cable undersized? It is a MAX of 6mm, no way is it 10mm, I would say the tales are 16mm to the Hendly blocks, then 25mm to the CU.

Cheers

The adiabatic equation is only used for cpc's, but what is the cable called between the MET and the service head. If its a cpc you could be correct, if its a bonding conductor you're wrong.
I think you'll find it's called the Earthing Conductor. With PME, 542.3.1 requires that it is sized as per the the MBP conductor (i.e. as specified in 544.1.1 and its Table 54.8 ). I can see no explicit indication that one can go below those sizes (for either MPB or Earthing Conductor, with PME) by using adiabatic equation calculations.

Using the adiabatic equation, you could end up with a main cpc smaller than the main bonding conductors, that can't be right.
As above, I don't see any indication that use of an adiabatic equation is allowed - and, in any event, 542.3.1 prevents the Earthing Conductor from being smaller than the MPB conducor with PME,

Kind Regards, John

It could have been sized with the adiabatic equation,

I think you have found another anomoly in the regs. The adiabatic equation is only used for cpc's, but what is the cable called between the MET and the service head. If its a cpc you could be correct, if its a bonding conductor you're wrong.

Using the adiabatic equation, you could end up with a main cpc smaller than the main bonding conductors, that can't be right.

There is NO anomoly! The adiabatic equation is used for Protective Conductors not just cpcs. See definition of Protective Conductor.

542.3.1 is quiet clear that the earthing conductor shall comply with Section 543 (543.1.3 has the adiabatic equation)

542.3.1. also says where you have PME your earthing conductor also needs to comply with 544.1.1 - hence the 10mm2.

I HATE gas with a passion. I know for hob it is the best.
A bit of a conflict there.....

Not really, I do not want gas, it's quite easy, everyone says gas is best for hob, but I would have induction any day over gas.

Anyway dont see what that matters, seems I need to get onto DNO and the sparks when I move in end of this month.

Cheers

We made the switch from gas to induction a couple of years ago and have never looked back. It seems superior to us as you have greater control, easy to clean, safer and can get a pan of water to boiling in less than a minute without flames up the side of the pan.

So is the earth cable undersized? It is a MAX of 6mm, no way is it 10mm, I would say the tales are 16mm to the Hendly blocks, then 25mm to the CU.

Cheers

From the pictures I would guess the cross sectional area (not diameter) of earthing conductor is 10mm2. It could be OK, but an electrician would need to verify this. Also those tails look like 25mm2 csa on both side of the blocks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back