My new unvarnished wooden floors knots have gone grey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new wooden floor has not been varnished yet and the knots in it are like a grey plastic, I don't know if it came like this or not, I cant remember - can anyone please tell me what exactly is happening, what could cause it and if it is fixable or does new flooring have to be made? It looks like the picture below

http://www.jgpwoodfloors.com/includes/oak floor.jpg

Sponsored Links
What exactly does that mean?

Could it be refilled? Or would new wood have to be bought again? Is this a common thing that could just stay like this?

Sponsored Links
Where the knots are. The timber can be rough and after planning it can have lots of little divots in the grain this is called tear out . Sanding obviously makes the wood smooth to the touch but it does not repair the divots( tear out) to repair this some companies use a filler often times its of a contrasting material...Good Installers will also use filler on knots etc. but I would have expected anybody that did use the filler to have told you so I would probably think that the Flooring came like that .

Get a Rag and wet it slightly. Where the Knot is give it a quick wipe with the damp rag and see what colour it goes . You may accept or you may not that is your call to make

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back