my priming pump goes soft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi when I've pumped hand pump on top of filter on my mitsi delica 2.8 intercooled turbo, it gets firm but is soft again 20 secs later. it also has trouble starting on cold mornings only to cut out 30 secs later ,then harder to start :confused:when I pump it she starts up easier , have by past filter now will see what happens. if this fixes the problem ,what do I need to do with filter hand pump etc?

Sponsored Links
If its a piston type hand pump they do sometimes develop leaky diaphragms, bypassing the filter should prove that one way or the other, otherwise you have an air leak further down the system.

I don't think you can repair the modern pumps so replacement would be the only option.

Peter

thanx alot peter for your input, it starts easier and has'nt stopped after starting,still coughs abit just after starting..5 secs or so. should i try new filter and if i have no joy go to a new pump?..cheers mate

Not sure of the type of pump you have, if its part of the filter then you will need to change it all. Changing the filter may help as if they become clogged the fuel flow is reduced.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I've fitted many a priming pump head to Fords, and the early PSA and Renault ones were a bore too.
A new pump head plus filter will sort this one!
John :)

Back