my system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So this is the order I decorate:

1) sand, fill and sand all surfaces

2) hoover and clean down walls & ceiling with plain water (not using sugar soap because no smokers here & walls in good condition)

3) paint ceiling x2 coats emulsion

4) paint walls x2 coats emulsion

5) paint joinery x2 coats satinwood

I am reasonably happy with this system using mostly delux and wickes paints (only force of habit that I use these paints, I don't use them because I think they are better than any others, in fact coverage of delux paints I have found to be extremely poor so likely to stop using them soon).

I was wondering whether anyone has anything to add that can help me take things to the next level? While I am happy with the results one can always do better.

Sponsored Links
Step 1) consider using Red Devil Onetime filler - sand, onetime, no need to sand again

Sponsored Links
Or rub down the woodwork first either.

And with the price of that filler, I'll rub down twice.

Sandpaper in one hand henry vacuum in the other :sneaky: I sand down around where I'm filling first, helps to get a nice fill for minimum sanding after filling, I will also fill 2 three times if needed to get a good finish, I can't abide over filling. I find very little difference between the finish whether I use two coats satin or 1 coat undercoat 1 coat satin. I will undercoat for a colour change or when there is substantial yellowing enough to stop the satin covering to a solid finish.

Try 2 undecoat, and then 2 satin coats, and then see the difference. But if you learn to overfill slightly, you can often (although not always) sand down in one go. Undercoat gives a good base for the topcoat to grip to, although Satin, not being so glossy, may give a good grip for the next coat. But if putting on a few extra coats makes the door stick, then it's too tight in the first place, so shaving a couple of mill off may be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify on overfilling too much, if you over fill too much what you end up doing is creating a dwell, where you sand around the fill as much as you sand the fill and wear away the paint or wood, to create a shallow moat effect, just a thing to be aware of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back