My Tits are back!

Well, it looks like all eight have hatched now as I can definitely see eight beaks in this picture. :giggle:

DEE2B074-348A-499D-A737-3B05AF135D6B.png

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
My live mini-mealworms arrived today and I’ve put some out on the bird table. They've just found them and are doing a non-stop feeding relay. Those chicks won’t be going to bed hungry tonight! :giggle:

Only thing, Mrs Mottie won’t even let me keep the wrigglers in the shed - says they have to go in the garage. I was hoping to keep them in the fridge! :(

Look at the feeding frequency! o_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:
Hmm. Maybe I’ve been looking at the wrong time but I can only see six in there today. Mind you, they are betting bigger and they are all on top of each other.

My live mini-mealworms arrived today and I’ve put some out on the bird table. They've just found them and are doing a non-stop feeding relay. Those chicks won’t be going to bed hungry tonight! :giggle:
Well that plan has backfired. The local sparrow population has soon clocked on to the free meal table and my poor tits have to contend with about 30 sparrows. A handful of mealworms are literally gone in 60 seconds - it’s like watching looters, mid-riot at JD Sports!

Last edited:
Well that plan has backfired. The local sparrow population has soon clocked on to the free meal table and my poor tits have to contend with about 30 sparrows. A handful of mealworms are literally gone in 60 seconds - it’s like watching looters, mid-riot at JD Sports!
I don't feed birds at this time of year. There's plenty to eat and if i did put food out i'd be swamped by jackdaws and crows. They're gathering for the annual midsummer festival at the old oak tree. At a guess i'd say up to 100 fill the sky at any time between now and the end of June.
Your blue tits will be fine. There's plenty of insects to be found. They usually fly in around lunchtime to gather what they like, especially after rain when a lot of insects hide under leaves where the canny ones find an easy snack.

I don't feed birds at this time of year. There's plenty to eat and if i did put food out i'd be swamped by jackdaws and crows.
Talking of crows and feeding, yesterday morning I heard a commotion and looked up to see a crow flying with a pretty large bird in its claws. It was being dive-bombed by other birds including other crows and it eventually dropped the bird it was carrying and the bird it dropped actually flew off! I think it was possibly a starling that it had caught.

Talking of crows and feeding, yesterday morning I heard a commotion and looked up to see a crow flying with a pretty large bird in its claws. It was being dive-bombed by other birds including other crows and it eventually dropped the bird it was carrying and the bird it dropped actually flew off! I think it was possibly a starling that it had caught.
I've heard of them doing that but never seen it - was it a live one?
A few years ago i watched a couple of jackdaws harrying the sparrowhawk away from their perch and over the hill beyond, never getting too close, but making enough of a nuisance that the sparrowhawk knew it was not welcome.
I'll never forget the sound a breeding pair of jackdaws made atop our chimney when hawk came a-knockin'. The hawk was trying to get a hold of the roof tiles for grip to make an assault on the nest but mama Daw defiantly held her ground and the male used beak and wings to knock the hawk away. Their bond is unbreakable, and they were rewarded with two fledglings that year. I love to watch them fly, and their ability to twist in the air is amazing.

Sponsored Links
Back