My Vaillant Ecotec Plus boiler wont switch on!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I accidently overfilled the boiler. Initially the gage went up half way but when the boiler fired up the pressure gage showed 3 bar! I switched the boiler off and bled the radiator. The pressure went down BUT the boiler doesn't switch on and there's nothing showing on digital display, as if it's power is off.
I checked the main fusebox and all fuses are on! I checked the internal boiler fuse with an Ohm meter and it's fine? Is it likely to be a problem with the PCB? Any advice on how i could resolve this?!?!

Sponsored Links
On-board fuses often check out ok whilst therer is no power going through them but fail once power is applied - worth replacing anyway as if you have 230v going into the boiler then this is the 1st thing I'd check. Sound like your expansion vessel has deflated too and needs reinflating to around .75bar (or whatever the vessel says) - to be done with the boiler drained and left 'open'.

On-board fuses often check out ok whilst therer is no power going through them but fail once power is applied - worth replacing anyway as if you have 230v going into the boiler then this is the 1st thing I'd check
How can I verify that there is 230v going into the boiler? I tried two replacement fuses but no cigar.
Sound like your expansion vessel has deflated too and needs reinflating to around .75bar (or whatever the vessel says) - to be done with the boiler drained and left 'open'.
You guessed right, my expansion vessel needs to be reinflated to 0.75 bar. The manual says to fill the vessel with air which makes it a bit simpler. I guess I can get a foot pump but how do i know when the preasure level reached .75 bar?

A multimeter is the best for tracing electrical faults.

Sponsored Links
If you feel confident then put your multimeter on 600vac and check for around 230v across live & earth, 230v across live & neutral, 0v across live & earth. If this checks out, and if you've replaced the onboad fuses (indeed if the 230v gets past the onboard fuses and past the on/off switch) then possible PCB fault.

Foot pump will do the expansion vessel - you need one with a pressure guage on so you can tell once you hit .75 bar (I always put a little extra in, once you wrestle the pump off you loose a little).

Isolate & drain boiler, leave drain plug open, reinflate.

Or if you decide to get a gas engineer out he would probably do this for you inclusive of fixing your power fault.

Just check that the on/off switch spindle is not snapped in the off position.

Thanks. I hope the safegas eng will come as promised and b4 I freeze to death :(

Problem solved. PCB changed and the boiler is working again :cool:

WHAT!! not possible to freeze to death when the outside temperature is 8 -10'c - Don't be a drama queen!! :LOL: :rolleyes:
But it's going to be 3c at night :eek: and I am a sensitive soul. Besides, I reserve my right to be a drama queen :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back