My whirlpool-type bath pump has stopped working? Any ideas to fix it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My whirlpool-type bath (see pic)... suddenly stopped working the other day. The pump went from chugging away happily to a whining sound like something had jammed in it.

I've tried it a few times since then and it still just hums without kicking in and pumping the water.

Today I tried filling the bath and using my beast of a plunger (see second pic) on the filter hole to see if I could shift the blockage. I got water and scale etc to come through the vent holes but the pump still wouldn't kick in.

The previous owners who installed the bath tiled the side of it on so I would have to smash the tiles off to get under the bath and investigate more. I just wondered if there was a less invasive solution to this. Maybe some sort of 'pump unblocking' liquid I could pour into the bath water to try and fix it??

Anyone any experience with this that could help me?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

IMG_8462.JPG

IMG_8463.JPG

Sponsored Links
Got to say, think you need to get at the pump. You can always fit a new side panel.

Hi Pete

Thanks for the reply. After much googling etc I think you're right... will maybe bite the bullet this weekend and break in to the side of the bath.

If it's not jammed, the motors capacitor may have had it. They often turn into a big melty burnt mess. Do not run the pump for more than a second or 2 if the motor is not turning, or the windings will turn into a melty mess as well which is much more expensive to correct.

Sponsored Links
This weekend I took the plunge and removed the side of the bath (tiles and mess and all!) and I took the pump face off and the impeller was sheared off. I've tried to use J&B Weld on it but I'm not convinced it will work so I've ordered some 'blank caps' so that I can remove the motor and get it on the bench to have a look at fixing it. At least the motor works. I've no idea how the impeller connects to the motor shaft so need to do a bit of googling to find out.

Thanks for everyone's help :)

Good for Johnny, hope it turns out to be a simple grub screw and you have it back asap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back