my wood burner won't gravity feed!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I've installed a wood burner with a fitted back boiler into my bungalow. I have 28 mm pipe leading from the boiler going up hill for at least the first third of the run to the cylinder, which is a 28mm gravity tank It then runs steeply down into the coil out and back the same way to the boiler. any ideas why it won't gravity feed?

Sponsored Links
If the flow dips down at the cylinder but the return falls constantly then it should thermosyphon.

If the return has an uphill flow after it leaves the cylinder coil then it will struggle and possibly cancel out the flow force.

Sponsored Links
reads as your return runs back up ? do you mean it goes up after it leaves the cylinder ?if so it has to fall back to the boiler ignore me if i have misunderstod description

I wonder if it was notified to Building Control?

Your cylinder probably is not designed for gravity circulation. You need to order special manufacture for gravity circulation. Alternatively, install a pump controlled by pipe thermostats which will mean you will automatically stop your fire taking away hot water from the cylinder.

Sometimes these gravity systems need to get very hot before they will actually start to gravity circulate.

My friend's system in France is somewhat amusing, when the fire is started it starts gravity circulation is the opposite direction to what is required and what would be expected from the pipe layout.

But its a pumped system and when the pump is started the flow reverts to the expected direction and then continues that way even if the pump is turned off.

If his flow runs uphill for a third of the way and then down steeply to the cylinder then it is't going to work and depending on how the pipework has been connected there is a fair chance that he will have an airlock where the pipe run changes direction too...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back