myson economist trouble,please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all-my myson economist is playing up-the problem is the actuall boiler which is located in my kitchen is making a hell of a noise once the boiler gets going.iv had the problem for a while now and was told it was kettling-i changed the pump to see if that helped-it seemed to for a while but it had to run on top speed to keep the noise down,now im trying to resolve the problem for good-my brother has fitted me a new pump (again) and immediatly you noticed the difference-it was almost silent,however after a bit of running the problem has returned! it seems that the system is pulling in air from somewhere as you can hear it moving round and through the pump and we think this is causing the terrible noise we are getting,we have vented and bled the system but cannot get rid of the air! im beginning to think the actuall problem is the boiler itself-could it be possible that there is a crack in this? please help going mad!

Sponsored Links
Do a search on kettling - plenty here. Also check in the loft at the small tank - -is there any "pumping over " (obvious!) when the ch or hw is on?

doesnt seem to be any pumping over-although not sure what that is! did a search but found nothing similer to this problem!

Check for a bleed point in the airing cupd on the inputs to the HW cylinder.

What level is the water in the header tank?

If you bleed the upstairs rads do you get water out of them all? Always bleed with heating OFF!

This is a better check of the same thing- Drain some water from a drain cock (find one!) on the pipes (use a hose) at low level and make sure the header refills (looking for a blocked feed pipe).

Sponsored Links
thanks-the header tank level is about 2/3rds full,there is a bleed point which is a auto bleed valve(i think) near the tank however this does not seem to be working-the radiators seem to be fully bled all upstairs ok-i must point out that the system is working ok it is just the hellish noise it makes-and it does this whether you have the heating on or the hot water-the noise is coming directly from the top of the boiler and makes a load humming and rumbling noise like something is going to explode- i have set the pump to speed 2 and it does not seem as bad but once it gets to temperature the noise begins!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back