myson kickspace problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the myson kickspace heater in my kitchen , only runs for 30 seconds at a time , then cuts off for a few minutes , then back on for 30 seconds . it used to run continously when heating was on. ive bled it , and tried to re balance system to force more water to it , but its made no difference , can i replace the hot water flow switch within the unit? or indeed are there any serviceable parts that i can replace ?

best regards stookay

Sponsored Links
the myson kickspace heater in my kitchen , only runs for 30 seconds at a time , then cuts off for a few minutes , then back on for 30 seconds . it used to run continously when heating was on. ive bled it , and tried to re balance system to force more water to it , but its made no difference , can i replace the hot water flow switch within the unit? or indeed are there any serviceable parts that i can replace ?

best regards stookay
From that information it sounds like a thermostat is causing the fan to turn on and off. I doubt there is anything inside them more technical than that! You'll probably have to get it out and onto a bench to test it electrically.

Btw what flow temp do you have running to it? I was considering installing one but was put off by the very high (80c) flow temps that they recommend.

thanks for the info , i may have to remove it and test it as you suggest,
sorry im unsure what temperature its running at , would this be the boiler output temperature?

Btw what flow temp do you have running to it? I was considering installing one but was put off by the very high (80c) flow temps that they recommend.

Sorry for interrupting this post, we have ours at 60C/65C most of the time, the kitchen is never warm even if it was on 80C, that is because the there is no place for a decent rad.

Sponsored Links
Quite possible that either the heat exchanger or the flexible pipes that connect the unit to the main heating pipework are partially blocked with crud. I have come across the problem you are having several times and in all but one case it was caused by a blockage. The other case was that the rubber liner in one of the flexible pipes had collapsed.

Sorry for interrupting this post, we have ours at 60C/65C most of the time, the kitchen is never warm even if it was on 80C, that is because the there is no place for a decent rad.

hi david , i agree mines hardly produces any heat , even when it was working properly , my kitchens a concrete floor and didnt want pipes on wall ,so went with the myson.
sorry i cant tell you what temperature the flow to it is , id have to check that with thermometer , mines doesnt have a temperature control just on and off , winter /summer switch

best regards

The temperature we are talking about is that which is set at the boiler thermostat.

I think mine doesn't produce much heat cos it's undersized for the kitchen.

I think mine doesn't produce much heat cos it's undersized for the kitchen.

Right answer! :D
Heat lost more than heat added = room temp will fall until the two are in balance.

For the OP, the fan in the Kickspace is switched on by a very simple electromechanical thermostat in contact with the pipe. It may be worth checking it's not become loose. More likely, the water flow has reduced for some reason - crud in pipe, kink in flexi hose, weak circulating pump etc. When the heater is working, both flow and return should be quite hot.

I suspect, although I'm not sure, that the heater would be more prone to cycling if the flow and return were reversed.

Right answer! icon_biggrin.gif
Heat lost more than heat added = room temp will fall until the two are in balance.

I have lost confidence in the Kickspace heater and I don't think it is suited to use with a condensing boiler unless it was considerably over sized. Wish there was space in the kitchen for a nice big radiator.
Or maybe even UFH before the marble tiles were down :rolleyes:

Right answer! icon_biggrin.gif

I have lost confidence in the Kickspace heater and I don't think it is suited to use with a condensing boiler unless it was considerably over sized. Wish there was space in the kitchen for a nice big radiator.
Or maybe even UFH before the marble tiles were down :rolleyes:

You should try harder. They are perfect for condensing boiler if you install them properly.

No way I'm I going to run the boiler at 80C so the kitchen get's warm, it all seems to work properly only it is too small for the large kitchen. Very hot air comes out from the heater too.

The issue is not that the water temperature is too low with the condensing boiler, but that the heater has been sized incorrectly for what the water temperature is. Like radiators, the lower the water temperature, the larger the heater needs to be to keep the room warm enough. If a fan convector is properly sized, it will work well.

Had a Myson Kickspace for around 15 years now, started working intermittently, was told it was either clogged or thermostat wasn't working.
Replaced the thermostat, works when cold, but when I undid the flexible couplings there was sludge present.
I thing the kickspace is at the lowest point in my system and so right where the sludge has collected.
What's the most cost-effective way of de-sludging without having to pay out hundreds of pounds for a British Gas Powerflush ?
New user, any suggestions welcome, thanks !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back