Myson with condensating boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found I can get a 40% grant to change my old boilers for a new condensating type. But I have some questions I understand that I will need to change all the lock shield valves if I move from open vented to closed vented other than damage limitation in case of a leak what are the advantages of a closed vented system? I can’t run any hotter as I have some radiators which can be touched by hand so are limited to 70ºC.

Second is I have a Myson radiator in the main room as with the open plan stairs it needs a lot of heat it at 4Kw was not big enough and I added a 2Kw double radiator with fins in only available space. It would be a backward step to get rid of the Myson however from what I have read the condensating boiler measures not only out going water temperature, but also the return!

Now the Myson as is has no restriction on water passage and is feed with 10mm copper and is thermostatically controlled by switching the fan on and off. This would mean as soon as the thermostat turned off then hot water will be returned to the boiler. This would switch the boiler down which if within limits it not too bad but I worry it would reduce to output so much that other rooms could not heat up.

I have not seen a modern Myson this one is 30 years old and I wonder if the new type has any valve to stop or reduce water flow? Since it has a sensor to stop fan starting until the water is hot I would consider a reduced flow would be best option. I would have expected something like the valve used to fill a washing machine rather then one of the motorised valve type.

My parents have just has a complete new system under the grant and the people doing the work did not even realise that they could not use a power shower on a instant mains pressure system so I don’t trust them to advise.

Has anyone any information as to how a Myson will work with a condensating boiler please and if there are any alterations to the modern Myson to old type?

Sponsored Links
Myson are probably the best people to ask about your radiator, provided you can give them a model number!

Myson Radiators
Eastern Avenue
Team Valley
Gateshead
NE11 0PG
Telephone: 0845 4023434
Fax: 0191 4917568
Email: [email protected]

As for the vented/unvented argument, you will get as many replies in favour of one as the other; so you have to make your own mind up.

Unvented will certainly find any leaks in your existing system as the working pressure is higher. Hence the advice to replace radiator valves. Too bad if you have a leak in a joint under a concrete floor!

Who is your 40% grant from?
Do you have a choice of boiler manufacturer or do you have to accept what you are given?
Are you having a combi boiler (instant hot water - no cylinder)?

You seem to have a lot of misconceptions about boilers and heating systems.

I expect that you would be better to speak in person to those who will be specifying your system.

What I can say is that they do have enough skill to design a reasonable system and if you want to have the grant then you have no further option than to have what they specify.

They are not the best but they generally muddle along!

Tony

if you want to have the grant then you have no further option than to have what they specify.
I'm curious about the 40%. If the grant is coming from Warmfront, that implies that the total cost of a new boiler will be £8750, with a grant of £3500. That's preposterous.

It would be helpful if the OP could give us the costs and what is proposed.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou D_Hailsham I have emailed Myson and will see what they say.

Agile I have to use the installers they say but I don't trust them they have already shown they lack basic knowledge when they fitted a combi-boiler on a system with a power shower.

Yes it would be Combi I would think so only a single boiler would be used instead of the two boilers I have now. As it is completely different boiler for domestic hot water to central heating combining both together should be easy as mounted next to each other.

Agile I have to use the installers they say but I don't trust them they have already shown they lack basic knowledge when they fitted a combi-boiler on a system with a power shower.

Yes it would be Combi I would think so only a single boiler would be used instead of the two boilers I have now. As it is completely different boiler for domestic hot water to central heating combining both together should be easy as mounted next to each other.
Sounds as if you have a large house if you needed two boilers.

Have you thought of getting a quote from an independent installer for the work. The companies running these grant schemes have a reputation for overcharging and, as you have found out, shoddy work. You may find that you can get the job done for the 60% you are going to contribute without involving the grant company at all.

If the 40% grant is from warmfront, just get somebody else to do it; they have an extremely bad reputation when it comes to quality as well as overpricing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back