Mysterious water leak underneath floorboards

ban-all-sheds, thats my point also ie the costs to repair the damage to our property if it indeed turns out that next door are the source. However, silly EH have sided with them and given them enormous amounts of impetus to not bother lifting their floorboards as they've done their dye test!

From a legal stand point where do i stand? obviously as far as our property is concerned the water is coming from next door albeit they might be root of it.

Sponsored Links
If they have had their drains dye tested and water supply confirmed not leaking there not much else it could be other than ground water.

Have you dye tested the surface in your garden?

i wonder what the neighbours thought when you inquired about ther showerin habits? didyou also check on ther use of the WC?
they then see you goin into yours with a big drill an a weird lookin camera - next thing is sounds ofdrillin in the party wall. by now ther convinced your borin holes in ther bathroom wall ...

what if you'd drilled into the living room not the sub-area - maybe ther all watchin corrie when they suddenly see a camera snakin out of the wallpaper?

Sponsored Links
most older houses had traps under the stairs for access to the sub-area.

we worked on a house one summer an theoversite was dry - in winter ther was a moving 500mm deep stream of black ground water coming from a stream that was dry for part of the year
the row of pre 1914 houses had been built over it an the water ran below the lot of them.

street names can be a clue to ground conditions eg Brookside.

I live in "Spring Terrace" :)
This was used by the council when I complained of a leak several years ago (they said it was a natural spring - yeah my bum it was!), it turned out it was coming from next doors cellar and getting into them from a blocked land drain.
The pub down the road was getting it pouring down the steps in their beer cellar, wasn't good for them.

All sorted by the Highways once I proved with some dye where it came from.
Best tenner I spent then, especially as the neighbors chipped in after I'd got the issue resolved.

mattylad tried everything now :(
EH have dye tested everyone house above ours. We live on a slope.
Ian H, yes we have dye test our garden..nothing :(

its not ground water, this water comes and goes like its coinciding with someone having a shower or bath.

bobasd, say something useful please. If you read the original post you'll gather we're not the neighbours from hell. Live on a hill next door are higher up and if the source isnt from their house fair enough but its still causing damage to theirs too.

time to get the shovels out and dig, dig dig.
Dig under the wall into under their floors lol

Is there enough space under the floor to get in there and build a wall to dam the flow? Maybe when people uphill find it bubbling up through their floorboards they might be more interested in locating the source.

OP,
i was just rippin your posts, no harm meant - you asked your neighbours in all innocence an i posted in all innocence.

in your first post you said you were on a slope soits been suggested above that your problem is ground water an unless your neihbour has some influence on gravity how is he supposed to deter the water table?

by the way, you can get locked up for doin what you did - no way are you allowed to drill holes an insert cameras in party walls.

i think my post #35 is sayin something useful.

BTW, is there a house above next door?

Reading back, I'd not be happy about lifting tiles either, but what about under the stairs, somewhere outside the tiled area?

Ian H, yes we have dye test our garden..nothing :(

its not ground water, this water comes and goes like its coinciding with someone having a shower or bath.

It must be a blocked gully then.

Sometimes they appear to be working because the water doesn’t overflow, but the gully pot is actually full and overflowing between the pot and the hopper. Bit in that case the dye would show, unless they were very tight with it.

Maybe a shower/kitchen pipe that’s cut off too high and running down the side of the gully?

Sponsored Links
Back