Mystery black layer on wooden stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've just done a patch test on our stairs which have many layers of poorly applied paint, as I was looking into restoring them back to wood. Our house is built early 1950s for reference. While paint stripping, I found a couple layers of white emulsion, then a semi gloss cream coloured coat, then a strange mystery black coat, then at the very bottom brown varnish directly atop the wood. When I came to the black coat I thought at first it could be fire damage because it wasn't responding to the paint stripper very well, but eventually I was able to scrape it off. It had a strange smell to it as well. Would anyone know what this black layer is, is it just a coat of paint or some sort of treatment?

Attachments

• 16335305110999018062675886566757.jpg
    16335305110999018062675886566757.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links
I would guess it is an old carpet adhesive I forget the name of. In the two 'old' houses I have lived in (1900 and 1947) both have had remnants of black, stubborn residue -- generally towards the middle of the stairs where traditionally a carpet runner would have been although I've seen it all the way across too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back