Mystery cable. Can anyone explain please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a switch that isolates my dishwasher, washing machine and fridge freezer that I needed to move.

All 3 cables from the appliances run down from above as does the power input.

Also wired to the input is another cable that runs about 20 inches to a double socket off to the right. The double socket also has separate power going to it from above.

At first I thought it was a spur off but after removing the cable everything still works as it should. In addition the cable was wrapped around the mains gas pipe.

I can’t for the life of me think what this cable could possibly be. If anyone could enlighten me that would be great.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 49B55E66-4B8E-46C3-B875-840B42476914.jpeg
    49B55E66-4B8E-46C3-B875-840B42476914.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What kind of switch is this?

upload_2018-10-24_21-36-29.png

And how are the appliances connected to the cables?

the cable was wrapped around the mains gas pipe.
You would be right to be worried about what other stupid things the previous occupant might have done.

Sponsored Links
What kind of switch is this?

View attachment 150941

And how are the appliances connected to the cables?

You would be right to be worried about what other stupid things the previous occupant might have done.

It wasn’t occupants it was the original builders and the level of bodgery had me second guessing everything.

The switch was just a 3 gang isolation switch.

But it’s all sorted now. Thanks.

The thing that I think BAS was hinting at but for some reason didn't say explicitly is that looks like a multi-gang light-switch, probably rated at 6A or 10A and hence unsuitable for use for switching sockets on a ring.

I wasn't hinting at anything. It does indeed look like a light switch, but so does the MK K4873D2.

I considered that just asking was the most straightforward thing to do. You really ought to stop being so suspicious all the time, and always looking for ulterior motives and hidden meanings.

It wasn’t occupants it was the original builders and the level of bodgery had me second guessing everything.
Given that....

But it’s all sorted now. Thanks.
It isn't necessarily. You're going to have to take that switch off the wall and see if there are any make/model numbers on it, or current ratings. It might be rated for dishwashers etc, or it might not.

And what's at the other end of the switched cables? FCUs? 13A sockets?

Given that....

It isn't necessarily. You're going to have to take that switch off the wall and see if there are any make/model numbers on it, or current ratings. It might be rated for dishwashers etc, or it might not.

And what's at the other end of the switched cables? FCUs? 13A sockets?
It’s a dedicated switch.
24929CFC-9FD7-45A2-B6B9-3269B88BFF02.jpeg

The other side of the cable is a switched socket.

Indeed not, but until your recent photo for all anybody knew it was a 10A light switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back