Mystery key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some help please.

My children play for a local rugby club. There is some floodlighting that has an outside control box. The box requires the key in the photos below to operate.

The club are down to there last key and are struggling to source anymore. Does anyone know where I might find some or are we just better off replacing the control box like for like?

I’ve tried the manufacturer Lewden who were not very helpful.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jimmy

View media item 50339 View media item 50340 View media item 50341

Sponsored Links
The club are down to there last key and are struggling to source anymore. Does anyone know where I might find some or are we just better off replacing the control box like for like? I’ve tried the manufacturer Lewden who were not very helpful.
If you don't succeed in finding one ... if the key is as 'simple' as it looks, have you considered trying to make one (or getting someone to try to make one, if such is not 'your thing')?

Have you looked on eBay? !!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
the switch might be one of these
http://www.e-lec.biz/elec_details.php?pc=PD202H
and they might be able to supply a key.
My interpretation that the OP was talking about the key for the enclosure/cabinet/box - not a keyswitch within it - but I may, of course, be wrong! On reflection, he did say "to operate it", so maybe I was wrong. However, my original answer remains the same!

Kind Regards, John

Sorry I didn't make it clear. The key operates the on-off switch for the lights.

Thanks so far.

Ye, I'd say ebay is your best bet. Maybe put an add on gumtree explaining what your in need of and if any one has one of these?

Quick search on ebay reveals no key.

I have emailed Lewden, begging for help....

I got this from them today

Hi James
We obsoleted the product for 2years and cannot help you . terribly sorry .
Cannot even point you to anyone as wholesalers do not stock them as well.

:cry:

I might have a go a making one

look out for a newish parked up wheely bin, quite often theres a plastic triangular key cable tied to the wheel that the owner may not have been aware of
Bit of remoddeling may do the job

may be better posting a pic of the switch and housing , it would proberly be easier to just replace with an ip and mains rated keyswitch

Could be worth changing the switching mechanism, but if you ever lost the last key, desperate measure would be to, soften a plastic pen end up using lighter, then place in keyhole, let the plastic go hard, then remove, then you have a "home-made key!"

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I depends what the switch is actually switching. IIRC those lewden switches are good old fashioned properly engineered switches.

The two switches gareth links to are most likely going to be unsuitable.

The keyswitch is not going to be rated for mains use, and the wiresless thing whist mains rated, is rated to 12A peak / 5A continuous @ AC 230V whatever that means, so if the load is some inductive floodlights, that thing wont last more than a couple of on / off cycles.

Find a local foundry / hobby model maker, and get them to cast you a couple of new keys from the existing one you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back