Mystery leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I’ve joined this group to see if anyone has experienced or seen anything similar before.

I have water/a leak/perhaps rain coming in to my bathroom that is affecting one corner wall. The bottom and top of the tiled skirting is wet to look at as if the grout has never dried fully, and the wall in the corner is cold to touch. It seems to affect the wall more when it’s driving rain water. In the summer it was fine. I can’t find where the leak could be coming from.

There is a pipe that runs along underneath the flooring and below that skirting seen in the picture. I don’t think it is a loose connection because I think I would see a wet patch on the dining room ceiling which is directly the below the bathroom. Plus that particular bathroom isn’t used everyday so water is not always running.

You will see there is a patch of bricks from the outside of the house that are wetter than the others (picture taken on a rainy day).

Have spoken to next door who say they do not have a leak so nothing from their side.

Pointing has been re-done on the outside.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Attachments

• C5585CFE-C9B9-4B40-89D4-6461E2A42C05.jpeg
    C5585CFE-C9B9-4B40-89D4-6461E2A42C05.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 138
  • BD40A537-B3CE-41E8-8592-757C51FC9E2D.jpeg
    BD40A537-B3CE-41E8-8592-757C51FC9E2D.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 120
  • FBE1DC44-1682-4A18-8EFD-736FFA0C8739.jpeg
    FBE1DC44-1682-4A18-8EFD-736FFA0C8739.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
Rainwater pipe is too far to the side so unlikely I think to be that, guttering I'd expect to see evidence higher up the wall.

Original bath and basin connections into the stack, are they still in use on your side? I am assuming you're on the left side in the external pic(?), and have had your waste changed for the white plastic, making the original connections into the stack redundant. Possible the neighbours are discharging their basin/bath, which is causing a slight crossflow into the redundant bosses opposite. Have the redundant pipes been removed and/or capped off correctly?

Can also see a disused plastic boss, is that capped off as well?

Sponsored Links
Hi. Thanks for the detailed reply. To answer:

...guttering I'd expect to see evidence higher up the wall. Update today. Have been up to the top of the stack this morning and there are two cracked roof tiles in between it and a dented lead creating a ‘slide’ inside the roof. A building things the driving rain water is getting in there and trickling down. Thoughts?

Original bath and basin connections into the stack, are they still in use on your side? I am assuming you're on the left side in the external pic(?), and have had your waste changed for the white plastic, making the original connections into the stack redundant. Possible the neighbours are discharging their basin/bath, which is causing a slight crossflow into the redundant bosses opposite. Have the redundant pipes been removed and/or capped off correctly?

White pipe runs from the shower and sink. Added lower down now making one of the original smaller pipes redundant. Both maybe. I will check with the builder and whether they have been capped off properly.

I think they will have been as the wall is only affected in the bathroom when it’s driving rain water, so would have thought the wall would be a problem all of the time if coming from neighbours rather than just autumn/winter/when it rains.

Can also see a disused plastic boss, is that capped off as well? Will check

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/mystery-leak.563690/#ixzz6lhYNIfhW

Roof leaks are never good, trying to get to the bottom of my own at present. Either way, it needs fixing, if that solves the issue, then you're sorted. If it doesn't, time to keep looking elsewhere. Do you still have a bath? If the new plastic waste is taking the basin and shower, (bath has been removed) check the redundant bath waste is also sealed correctly.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I’ll start with the roof tiles. Hope you get to the bottom (or top) of yours!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back