Myths

Rules are only needed where knowledge and application are missing.
These days, people think less and rely on others more so rules have to fill in the void.
I think you have missed the point of my thread.

It is about people making rules for things that are not required nor necessary.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I could read a book cover to cover (when I can be arsed) but not remember a damn thing. Teaching methods had to address for the likes of me, unfortunately.
Er.

I think it's the opposite.

Schools have become houses of wrote learning.
I know people who could quote you the bible chapter and verse yet not "understand" any of it. (They are called priests....)

But I'm like you. Chapter and verse bore the ****e out of me but i like to figure out the logic and reasoning for myself.

The world needs both. Unfortunately, it seems to only value one.

Sponsored Links
As the back box is not an exposed-conductive-part therefore does not require earthing at all

To clarify, are you saying if you have a plastic light switch and recessed metal back box, the earth wires could be joined in a connector, and not attached to the back box?

(I'm not trying to make up my own rules, honest.)

As the back box is not an exposed-conductive-part therefore does not require earthing at all,
You are joking !

What will happen if the back box becomes Live ?

a) The screws holding the front face to the back box will be Live to the touch.
b) If the plaster around the back box is damp then that damp area of the wall will be Live to the touch

As people seem to be in the mood for long discussions about any little thing, I wondered how and why some things become part of folk lore even though they are completely meaningless and unnecessary.
Could it be from such bodies as the recently mentioned safety charity and best practice guides whose authors presumably have to justify their existence?

A poster in a thread this morning with regard to earthing a back box mentioned the fixed lug 'rule'; i.e. if one of the lugs is part of the back box then earthing the faceplate is sufficient.

As the back box is not an exposed-conductive-part therefore does not require earthing at all, I wondered who it is that considers it their job to make up rules for implementing things which are not required nor necessary.

Perhaps the same happened regarding isolators and fuses for extractor fans (in the U.K.).
If you think everything is so wrong, Why don't you write and publish the correct versions without any ambiguity?
Then we would not have any further disputes and we'd all be in a better place.

If you think everything is so wrong, Why don't you write and publish the correct versions without any ambiguity?
Then we would not have any further disputes and we'd all be in a better place.
The EFL Regulations.

My house at the moment, I've made sure all the earth or CPC's or whatever are in good condition.

The last one was a pain today, PVA'd the wall for rendering and it was running down the cable into the backbox - dabbed it with some kitchen towel and nothing popped in the fuse box so happy days.

Attachments

• IMG_20231215_202808414.jpg
    IMG_20231215_202808414.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231215_202821208.jpg
    IMG_20231215_202821208.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231215_202826905.jpg
    IMG_20231215_202826905.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 41
I have known some doing continuity tests report defects on light switches = plastic switch, test made at accessory screws, no earth reading.
The back box may or may not be earthed but the screw lugs contain plastic inserts so you could never get a reading anyway.
A lot of these back boxes were used in years gone by

Er.

I think it's the opposite.

Schools have become houses of wrote learning.
I know people who could quote you the bible chapter and verse yet not "understand" any of it. (They are called priests....)

But I'm like you. Chapter and verse bore the ****e out of me but i like to figure out the logic and reasoning for myself.

The world needs both. Unfortunately, it seems to only value one.
Schools have always used rote learning to cram the basics of a subject into young minds.
Y'all can still hear the sing-song voice in which you recited the nine-times table, right?
Establishing the basics of any subject is essential, like learning music, but you can only riff away from that once you're fluent in the language.
A premise you can apply to anything, even electronics. Don't mess with the basic rules but once you're more than competent to wire up a circuit board i imagine you can get creative with all sorts of applications.

It seems the problem is that BS7671 doesn't directly consider the issue of conductive parts that are neither truely exposed, nor properly insulated.

I had a rather animated discussion with an NIC spark who had come across some work a colleague had done and he complained to the householder that it was not "to the book".
He insisted that NIC sparks only followed the regs and no other books/ guides.
His gripe was that there were 2 conductors leaving a 15A fuseway and he insisted there should only be one. You can't tap off a radial at the board, he said. Nowhere in the regs does it suggest you can.

Then he started talking about various ways of wiring stuff and talked about "NICEIC best practice" and IET guidance notes.

"Are those in the regs?" I asked him.

^^ there are many people who say you can’t have a spur at the CU on a RFC

More nonsense

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back