nail gun for fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just looking for advice on nails gun. What the best cordless nail gun for putting on fence boards .
Thankyou

Sponsored Links
I have just bought a Tacwise air driven coil nailer for doing fencing, making trellis etc - I already had the compressor so that made the decision easier.

It's been very good so far and running costs are way cheaper than than paslode etc.

I have a Paslode gun, been very reliable.

Sponsored Links
I have a paslode framing nailer and its been very unreliable. Misfires constantly.
No way I would recommend them.

About 10 joiners were on our site recently and I noticed they had 3 paslode framing nailers in their van.
Same models as mine.

They also had a Hitachi.
Seen one guy up on the roof having nothing but misfires with the paslode.
Just made me smile. :LOL:

He then brought out the Hitachi and he spent the next three days nailing non stop.
Paslodes all sat in the van

I have just bought a Tacwise air driven coil nailer for doing fencing, making trellis etc - I already had the compressor so that made the decision easier.

It's been very good so far and running costs are way cheaper than than paslode etc.

I am also looking for a reasonably priced air nailer to work with a compressor. Initially the task at hand is nailing feather boards to arris rails. It would be good to know which nailer and what type of nails to use for that purpose.

Id say paslode is my first choice But you have to keep them serviced striped down cleaned an oiled.
Don't buy the cheap nail packs as the gas dont have no oil in it as it firers each nail it lubes up the piston and barrel. The cheaper brands dont after time it acts like cutting paste. on the seals

the Hitachi nailers are good they was built light and comfy for guys with bag hands ect bet you didnt know that.
Iv got a 1st fix paslode and i got it from a fencer so it got a full strip and clean down an it works just like a new gun.
Im getting the 2nd fix from him soon and ill do the same with that too.

That is interesting but I can't really justify a gas nailer like a Passy so I'm looking for a compressor driven one. Going by what I've read online I think for nailing feather boards to arris rails it would be either or a 15g finish, framing or coil nailer. Would any of those work ok or does it really need to be one of those above the others?

If you doing a diy job then get your self a hammer. Estwing are good.
After that if you are in a workshop then air is the way to go.

My paslode was sent back to the makers twice and twice they sent it back misfiring. Its next trip will be the skip.
They are rubbish.

Everyone harps on about servicing them. Even the guys on my site were repeating the same mantra.
Yet their paslodes never left the van. :rolleyes:

Bostitch have a few in their product line worth looking at. And these are no slouches when it comes to auto nailers.

They've just launched the BF33 "Liberator". Which has 700 shots per charge.
And needs no expensive gas and no costly down time servicing every 20 minutes or so to remove microscopic particles of dust that stop them working.

If you doing a diy job then get your self a hammer. Estwing are good.
After that if you are in a workshop then air is the way to go.

My paslode was sent back to the makers twice and twice they sent it back misfiring. Its next trip will be the skip.
They are rubbish.

Everyone harps on about servicing them. Even the guys on my site were repeating the same mantra.
Yet their paslodes never left the van. :rolleyes:

Bostitch have a few in their product line worth looking at. And these are no slouches when it comes to auto nailers.

They've just launched the BF33 "Liberator". Which has 700 shots per charge.
And needs no expensive gas and no costly down time servicing every 20 minutes or so to remove microscopic particles of dust that stop them working.

Thanks Norcon - that is all very informative and I appreciate the benefit of your experiences with those gas powered cordless nailers. I will definitely avoid the Passy! With respect to air powered nailers; does anyone have guidance on the right type for nailing featherboards to arris rails (if I wanted to avoid using a hammer)?

You want something that can drive a 50mm galvanised ring shank.
That could be a finish nailer or a framing nailer in the Bostitch range.
So the best thing to do is decide which one you will get the most use from.

To be fair, i don't see anyone using anything but Paslode guns on site. It used to be air compressor city on a second fix, with sprayers to roofers using the air.

Really quiet sites are these days, it is stupid that i miss that.

You want something that can drive a 50mm galvanised ring shank.
That could be a finish nailer or a framing nailer in the Bostitch range.
So the best thing to do is decide which one you will get the most use from.

Cheers. I can't see myself having too much use for a coil nailer outside of this job so scratch that I'd say. I'd probably get most use out of a 15g finish nailer like this one:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-da1564-15-gauge-finish-nailer

but I'm concerned that 15g nails with 3mm heads won't be man enough for fencing. The other option of a framing nailer like this one:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-fn2890d-framing-nailer

I think would be OK as the nails are beefier but I wonder if it would be suitable for skirting boards and architraves? Also - do we think clipped nails are OK for fencing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back