Nail gun for fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Would a Hikoki framing nail gun be ok for fencing?
Thinking NR1890DC.
It uses crescent nails.

Sponsored Links
I have one. I have done fencing (albeit not yet with this gun, but with various gas nailers and a DW DCN692 cordless nailer). So, yes, I think it would be suitable. Be aware that these are heavy guns, but really no heavier than a full size pneumatic nail gun. The NR1890 used clipped head (or D-head) paper-collated 34 degree nails from 50 to 90mm in length so you do need to keep your nail stock dry (inside a plastic bag) when working outdoors in windy weather

Update: I brought the Hikoki framing nailer and it was awesome.
Used 50mm galvanised ring shank nails and SSSOOOOO much better than hammer and nails. The fence was also spared being battered by hammer and nails repeatedly.

Update: I brought the Hikoki framing nailer and it was awesome.
Used 50mm galvanised ring shank nails and SSSOOOOO much better than hammer and nails. The fence was also spared being battered by hammer and nails repeatedly.
Awesome!

Any other benefits or drawbacks of the nailer?

How much did you buy it for? Money well spent?

I have been toying around with getting the hikoki but i am still on the fence (no pun intended)

Sponsored Links
Weight - this is a fairly heavy gun. Slightly bulkier than a Passlode 1st fix. Annoyingly with the sole exception of the latest 6Ah batteries, all the other batteries currently lack any form of charge gauge (on Makita this is a row of red LEDs). The skyhook (rafter hook) seems to be designed to fit over 4in wide rafters (needs the narrower one from the 2nd fix guns).

On the plus side (apart from no gas) - reasonable battery life (possibly a bit better than the deWalt DCN692 it replaced - for most jobs 2 x 5Ah will do you all day), fairly aggressive nose piece which allows for toe nailing, high rate of fire (I've done some floor nailing with mine where we need to fix about 250 no. 50mm ring shank nails (per sheet) into 18mm spruce plywood - this nailer works at a similar rate to a pneumatic nailer, and far faster than any gas gun I have worked with), relatively quiet (quieter than gas nailers, quieter than the DW nailer), powerful enough to sink 90mm ring nails into C24 structural softwood timber, easy to open up magazine to clear jams (2 machine cap screws to remove), comes in a Systainer-compatible box which clips onto my Makita, Festool, Mafell etc boxes for transport

Overall - been using for about 4-1/2 months on mixed joinery (all first fix). Very happy to date

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome!

Any other benefits or drawbacks of the nailer?

How much did you buy it for? Money well spent?

I have been toying around with getting the hikoki but i am still on the fence (no pun intended)

I've no complaints. I do like my tools and it put a big smile on my face.
Gun, systainer, charger, 2x5 amp batts for 430 quid.
The hanger can be adjusted to suit a belt hook which was a surprise.
I've seen quite a few YouTube vids about it and the pro's seem to rate it highly due to it being gasless and powerful, better than the Dewalt framer and Paslode which are the frontrunners.
I didn't find the weight an issue, and I'm very average strength-wise.
It was quiet too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back