Nail punch Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some very old nail punches.
Instead of a flat face, they have a half round ‘dimple, to allow them to fit on the head of a nail better.

Are these still available, and if so do they have a particular name ?

Sponsored Links
They used to be called nail sets (you use them to set the head of a nail or pin beneath the surface), maybe partly to differentiate them from taper punches aka taper drifts, which have flat faces and are designed to drift out or drive engineering pins, bolts, etc. Nail sets have always had concave/hollow points, because without it they would not be able to locate on and remain on stay on the head of a nail or pin - and you'd make a gawdawful mess of the woodwork around the nail/pin when you hit the nail set with a hammer and it slides off the fastener. Stanley, Starrett and Bahco all still make them, because every joiner needs a set of 3 or 4 of them

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
i know its not quite the same but a hand pin push can leave a fairly flush head with minimum wood bruising or a more pronounced ring for countersinking but need less skill or attention as it positively sits on a raised head

i know its not quite the same but a hand pin push can leave a fairly flush head with minimum wood bruising or a more pronounced ring for countersinking but need less skill or attention as it positively sits on a raised head
I have one of those for panel pins, nut suitable for 16G x 50mm nails

It seems to me that all pin punches used to have the recessed heads until China got involved and the cheap flat-headed punches got sent over en-masse.

Best nail punch ever is a Japanese Mokba double-headed punch. Best by far, you won't regret owning one.

It seems to me that all pin punches used to have the recessed heads until China got involved and the cheap flat-headed punches got sent over en-masse.
Which is a good reason for avoiding certain Chinese tools. The little list of makers I quoted all manufacture in Europe and make properly dimpled punches

Best nail punch ever is a Japanese Mokba double-headed punch. Best by far, you won't regret owning one.
Surely they only do the one size, though? OK for filled and painted work, but not necessarilly for stuff like clear lacquered oak

Surely they only do the one size, though? OK for filled and painted work, but not necessarilly for stuff like clear lacquered oak

It's a proper nail punch for proper nails. Not namby pamby pins. Lol.

The point is quite narrow though.

I find the smaller end the most useful though, especially for sinking the bigger nails in tougher timber as it's easier to control.

You know, I can just see you fixing delicate mouldings in place with 6 in French nails...

I probably punch more pins under than nails

Whilst I do not doubt that it is a great punch, won't you damage the recess/dimple if using it on larger nails?

Whilst I do not doubt that it is a great punch, won't you damage the recess/dimple if using it on larger nails?
It does not have a dimple. The point is about 2.5 - 3mm and flat so whilst it can be used on pins with care, I suppose it's really for larger nails.

I just find it so much easier to hold and use. On second fix timber to be painted, its fine for sinking the nails, but it's really versatile.

Not a problem as long as you blunt the points to stop the moulding splitting - so I prefer cut clasps instead.
I have actually come across panel pin size cut nails on some listed building jobs - holding beads and mouldings in place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back