National Grid warns Britons of blackouts on ‘really cold’ evenings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Centrica must be getting pretty fed up with selling, buying, separating, closing, and reopening rough at the request various governments’ meddling.

I recall it was originally closed because it could not be operated efficiently.

Last February, wind generation was mostly between 10 and 13 GW (like today)

About three times as much as the nukes

And a quarter the price.

@ajohn

You seem to dislike my post.

Are you suggesting that any part of it is untrue?

Our gas storage capacity has been allowed to run down to avoid maintenance costs. This is now seen as a bad decision as we are very dependent on imports. This has meant paying top whack to get the stuff. Eg as reported on the news a tanker heading to S America and a good way there turned round and came here.

I could point out five gas storage tanks within seven miles of me 10+ years ago (and I'm sure there were more). All gone now. We do seem to like making short-term profitable decisions which later turn out to have long-term ill-effects...

Interestingly (and off-topic), there were two large storage tanks in the next town to me, both sited right next to a railway bridge. The bridge also housed an air raid shelter which was within 500 yards of them.

Sponsored Links
The gasometer towers are really just about balancing pressure. Rough storage is where the gas is stored effectively back in the gas field.

I could point out five gas storage tanks within seven miles of me 10+ years ago (and I'm sure there were more). All gone now. We do seem to like making short-term profitable decisions which later turn out to have long-term ill-effects...

Interestingly (and off-topic), there were two large storage tanks in the next town to me, both sited right next to a railway bridge. The bridge also housed an air raid shelter which was within 500 yards of them.
Nail on the head. Longer term strategies for energy, transport, health, education are often talked about but never truly delivered. I suppose it's a consequence of living in a democratic country i.e. one lot in with their strategy, they get voted out x years later, new lot in with their (usually different) strategy.

I'm going to repeat myself, the UK should be aiming to be 100% self sufficient when it comes to energy generation.

Nail on the head. Longer term strategies for energy, transport, health, education are often talked about but never truly delivered. I suppose it's a consequence of living in a democratic country i.e. one lot in with their strategy, they get voted out x years later, new lot in with their (usually different) strategy.

I'm going to repeat myself, the UK should be aiming to be 100% self sufficient when it comes to energy generation.

Definitely agree on self-sufficiency, because we have the capability and the resource to do it. To sell off our means of energy production and put it in the hands of foreign parties (again for a short-term profit) is madness. I even read the other month than nearly all of our rolling stock of rail carriages are owned by foreign financial powers, which our privately-owned rail companies have to rent from them! Railway is a national asset.

I won't start another debate within this thread, but I do not think we are a democracy. I think the real force behind our national policies resides within the numerous unaccountable bodies who 'advise' successive governments on the best course of action. Elected MPs are merely an illusion of democracy.

Beggars belief.
We have lots of wind power.
No shortage of places to put more.
We have significant amounts of gas. We need to reduce gas usage, yep, use leccy instead, get us towards being self sufficient on gas too.

Not a bad situation for heavens sake, how many countries have that?
Increase the wind so it's all we need most of the time. Use gas if it's not windy, and if practical, store some gas.
Nuke is expensive, there's some solar, bio and whatnot, ok, but they won't be key. Tactical options like tidal and expanded embedded solar might be viable, but not in a hurry. Not part of the main strategy.

OK we got caught out by the war, so we'll have to bodge and pay extra for a while, but it's not exactly difficult to see where we would like to be.
If we can make wind power for sale most of the year, and sell some gas, great! UK keeps the profits.
Cheap power for UK industry, great. They're paying through the nose right now.

So, energy agency, not a hard job. Get on with it, and reclaim ownership for GB as you go..

Next question?

Strikes me that's 3 posts in a row saying much the same. What's the problem? If it turns out to be EU competition rules I'll be cross.....

You seem to dislike my post.
I don't but just mentioning what wind generates is only a tiny part of the problem. Nuke is less as we haven't got as much as we want. The problem is too much use of gas, Perhaps I see the comment about current wind power as irrelevant.

;) I'm also inclined to feel a lot of people take too simple a view of the problems thanks to pundits. Storage for instance is likely to be needed however it's generated as usage varies throughout the year. Nuke can be controlled in this respect

It seems air source heat pumps need ~1kw in for 4kw out. Yet more electricity needed when all convert from gas. They can frost up. Flow temperatures are too low for the usual radiator sizes. In fact I understand they are better at generating hot air. Once popular with gas as cheap but the building needs ducting. A gov consultant mentioned the hybrid option. Both heat pump and a boiler for when the heat pump can't cope. That is seen as a favourite here by some.

:eek: The electricity price cap is 3.4 times the gas one. A bit chicken and egg - do things stack up at current prices - probably not really.

Then comes this
In fact, the Committee on Climate Change (CCC) has estimated that it would cost an average of £26,000 to switch each UK home to a low-carbon heating system.

A comment from working in Sweden in the winter. They don't turn the heating off as there is little extra capacity for rapid reheating. Take a very large workshop. Concrete floor with underfloor. It takes several days to get the building up to temperature. The output is not much more than required to make up losses. That avoids surges when loads are in use at the same time. The houses I have stopped in are similar. Panel heaters that click from time to time. ;) Their consumer units look like they belong in a factory.

Imagine if God existed. Then imagine God announced to everyone in the UK

If the UK isn't 100% self-sufficient in energy production a decade from now, you will all drop dead exactly 10 years from today!!! You have been WAAAAARNED!!

I'm pretty sure we'd get it done ;)

In 1914 the British government became the company’s principal stockholder and remained so. Effective January 1, 1955, British Petroleum became a holding company. Beginning in 1977, the British government reduced its ownership of British Petroleum by selling shares to the public, and in the late 1980s the government turned over British Petroleum entirely to private ownership by selling its remaining shares. This cleared the way for British Petroleum to acquire Britoil PLC, an independent oil company that produced oil from the North Sea fields.

We were a Norway for a while. LOL The public will give the shares back but I wonder where they are now and what class of person bought them. Some still live in stately homes etc.

Texas went cheap on their infrastructure, their Coal and Gas systems froze and shut down, as did a handful of their wind turbines. The main failure was their gas infrastructure.

But you probably didn't know that.

Texas went cheap on their infrastructure, their Coal and Gas systems froze and shut down, as did a handful of their wind turbines. The main failure was their gas infrastructure.

But you probably didn't know that.
handful ? on the wednesday of the storm 28 gigawatts from thermal source was lost and 18gigabit from renewable . Hardly a handful but then you probably didnt know that

handful ? on the wednesday of the storm 28 gigawatts from thermal source was lost and 18gigabit from renewable . Hardly a handful but then you probably didnt know that
Bullshit.

Governor Abbott later acknowledged that coal, natural gas, and nuclear plants had played a role.[46] Five times more natural gas than wind power had been lost.[48
From Wikipedia. What's your source?

Also, Gigabit, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back