National wood shortage, cause?

I need a teeny amount of stuff but need it delivered cause it won't fit in my car. I've ordered all the brackets screws etc, then I went to order the wood ... :(

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to buy some timber and my local merchants are quoting varying numbers of weeks for the sizes I want. A quick look online indicates timber merchants across the UK are experiencing shortages. One site I've just been on is quoting anywhere between 2-10 weeks depending on wood type.

I don't like typing this but is the cause Brexit or simply a national shortage due to other issues with global suppliers?

I was pricing up some floorboards at Jewsons back in Nov and the manager warned me that they didn't have much in stock and couldn't say when they would be receiving more. As it turned out they did get a delivery in December. The manager said covid may have been a very small part of the problem, but the main reason was an acute shortage of timber in America, so much so that the Americans were prepared to pay well over the odds to secure supplies.
A lot of our timber comes from Sweden and some from Germany. He reckoned that ships had been loaded in Sweden with timber bound for the UK and were being diverted at the last minute to the States because they were offering such a good price. He reckoned the same thing happened about ten years ago when there was a shortage in China.

I always thought North America was self sufficient in timber but hey ho.

Just googled it, shortage in US is down to Covid closing the sawmills.

I was pricing up some floorboards at Jewsons back in Nov and the manager warned me that they didn't have much in stock and couldn't say when they would be receiving more. As it turned out they did get a delivery in December. The manager said covid may have been a very small part of the problem, but the main reason was an acute shortage of timber in America, so much so that the Americans were prepared to pay well over the odds to secure supplies.
A lot of our timber comes from Sweden and some from Germany. He reckoned that ships had been loaded in Sweden with timber bound for the UK and were being diverted at the last minute to the States because they were offering such a good price. He reckoned the same thing happened about ten years ago when there was a shortage in China.

I always thought North America was self sufficient in timber but hey ho.
That'll be cause it's all being used to build that blo0dy wall!!!

Oh no, wait ... #MadeOfSteel

Come on, that's a good joke, a very good joke, agreed?!?

Sponsored Links
No shortage of wood from our rabid remainers.
That's right. I had to go to the BM today so I took a couple of snaps of two different BMs.
IMG_0713[1].JPG

IMG_0714[1].JPG

Last edited:
Was talking to a builder an hour ago

there job has ground to a halt ref
A timber issue

there is a delay for oak panelling or boarding from Italy

He said it’s a combination of this Chinese virus caper and brexit

We have issues getting some boiler parts at the moment Italy is a big player in boiler part and heating part manufacture used in numerous boilers

I
A lot of our timber comes from Sweden and some from Germany.
I can't remember ever seeing ply sheets that are anything other than imperial sizes i.e. just above 4' and just above 8'.

Is that an American thing or are they deliberately sold in those sizes? Annoying because us sensible Europeans set out our spacings in metric to suit plasterboards, architects spec's etc.

Have the Americans adopted the metric system ?

thought they were still on the imperial caper

engines were measured in cubic inches for years

I can't remember ever seeing ply sheets that are anything other than imperial sizes i.e. just above 4' and just above 8'.

Is that an American thing or are they deliberately sold in those sizes? Annoying because us sensible Europeans set out our spacings in metric to suit plasterboards, architects spec's etc.

True, plasterboard 2400 x 1200, ply usually 2420 x 1220, I've often wondered why.

Sponsored Links
Back