Natura engineered wood advice where to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an upstairs hallway which we have decided to lay Natura engineered wood flooring. Normally I would start in the corner but I'm not sure that I can do that in this room.

We have matching stair nosing which locks to the click profile of the wood floor. I am thinking that I will need to start the flooring at the top of the stairs so that I know the locking profile of the flooring starts at the edge of the first step so that the stair nosing fits just right. This means that I would be starting to lay the floor in the middle of the room.

The issues I can see is that as it is a hallway I have doors on both sides and would normally lay the wood under the architrave and door frames. I don't see how I can do that on both sides though?

Probably not worded that well but would appreciate some advice.

Sponsored Links
You can use an oscillating saw to undercut the architrave and door frames, but you can always remover the architraves, and fit them back later. Have a chat with the Natura suppliers, as they may know a few tricks, but I almost feel that you've got to start at the wall between 4 and 5, and then work towards 1, across to 7, and then backwards towards 6, but that would leave the flooring the wrong way round to the fit the nosing, unless Natura have an alternative fixing method. If you start at the stairs, then you're going to be cutting along the wall by door 9, and from your plan, it may not be feasible to do it.

I'd be inclined to cut and fit the wood, but not glue it to check out if you can get down the hallways safely, and are you removing the skirting boards.

You can use an oscillating saw to undercut the architrave and door frames, but you can always remover the architraves, and fit them back later. Have a chat with the Natura suppliers, as they may know a few tricks, but I almost feel that you've got to start at the wall between 4 and 5, and then work towards 1, across to 7, and then backwards towards 6, but that would leave the flooring the wrong way round to the fit the nosing, unless Natura have an alternative fixing method. If you start at the stairs, then you're going to be cutting along the wall by door 9, and from your plan, it may not be feasible to do it.

I'd be inclined to cut and fit the wood, but not glue it to check out if you can get down the hallways safely, and are you removing the skirting boards.

I was intending on cutting out the architrave using a multi tool saw and for the boards to fit under. There are no skirting boards as they will go on afterwards.

I was looking at it again last night and I think I might have a plan.

I think I have to start by the stairs in order for the nosing to work. I'm then going to work towards 2,3&4. My concern with this was that due to the click profile of the wood I wasn't sure how I was going to get the final row in under the architraves by 2,3 & 4. I think I'll get them in place and then fit the row before and hope that the click profile is such that I can hammer with a pull bar.

The other thing I'm not sure on is the section heading towards wall 7. The width here is around 1700mm and the lengths of flooring are 2200mm. Normally you stagger the joints, but due to the long lengths would you just fit the boards without any joints width ways (hope that makes sense).

Sponsored Links
I would run boards in same direction as the arrow in the diagram , the ends of the boards have the same profile to fit in the nosing. Makes all the doorways easier to fit.

Well, I can see why you want to use it, but I don't think you're going to be able to get the boards in down the hallway. Foxhole agrees with me that you need to lay them in the direction of the arrow, so go and have a chat with the suppliers, and get their opinion. It may be that you've got to cut off the locking point on the nose, glue the nose to the edge of the board themselves, but turn the boards 90 degrees. You may also need to build the top steps bullnose to a square shape with 2 part wood filler to provide more support for the nosing.

Thanks for the replies, I will take your advice and speak with the supplier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back