Nearly there

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I have read a number of posts all helpful, some contradictory though.

I exposed a beautiful parquet floor 10 years ago, alas...2 kids...not enough care and the floor looked 'worn'.

I have now sanded it back and taken off the complete top layer aprox 3mm....looks good again now apart from needing finishing..and that was 3 weeks ago and its now its geting marked due to the lack of a decent seal.

Thats where you come in, my friends.............

What next?...where to go?....and what to buy?....plenty of tradesmen out there I know but I am a DIYer at heart.

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Hmmmm So I see....interesting website, lots of products that look right too....just not sure how to proceed still.

Select the type of finish you like/want (varnish, lacquer, oil). Prepare the floor again (light sanding or gentle cleaning).
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS of the product you buy (most errors occur by not reading, or reading too late ;))

Hope this helps you further.

Sponsored Links
Ok, feel i'm getting somewhere and I am a stickler for READING ahead and doing things right.!!

2 more questions and I recon i'm on the home turn.

1. I saved a bag of dust from the sanding process to mix with some sot of filler for filling the gaps, I note there are fillers just right for this purpose from some local kent suppliers, I assume a novice DIYer could easily do this following tin instructions.

2. What finish would you recommend on a floor that is going to be used and abused by 2 kids with wet boots droping anything from plastic toys to dinosaur bones and fosils ? As far as finish, we just want to bring out the beauty of the wood and have a reasonably low maintenance floor.

Dan

Hi Dan

Lecol 7500 should do the trick for filling it neutrally if you ideed use the sand dust from the same floor.
And I'll stick to HardWaxOil for all the things you list as best product. Easy to apply also.
(And yes, some Kentish based retailer sells both ;))

Excellent, thanks mate...and finally....

Osmo HardWax Oil (Polyx-Oil) or HardWaxOil (manufacturers brand) ?

Dan

Doesn't matter, both are good products (Osmo is more known = higher prices)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back