Neatest way to apply silicone between floor/wall ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was fortunate enough to spend a weekend at a nice hotel and as sad as it seems, I couldnt help but notice how neat the silicone sealer was between the walls and floors.
It was a perfectly uniform thickness and completely parallel, even after negotiating some tricky angles, with no smearing.
How do they do that ? I can't believe they used a finger dipped in detergent as I was led to believe is the correct method.
Is there a special tool ? Or special silicone ?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Hahaha- yes exactly :rolleyes:

thanks for the advice gcol, but I cant believe they used your method, i'm sure they used a tool of some kind.
As I say, some of the angles could not have been masked, and I'm sure that in a large hotel, many bathrooms have to be finished quickly to the same standard and they wouldnt have time to use tape.

I bought this tool and it gives me a finish like this:

sink-1.jpg

In about 30 seconds flat - Would be a lot better if i took my time :LOL:

Sponsored Links
No, that was information for you to get the same result. Those that do it all day don't mess about with tape - it's just a knack to get the speed of movement and trigger action matched to give a uniform bead. The cut of the nozzle is important too.

Fantastic ! Thanks for the link, so there is a tool. A quick search on google has also shown up many.
I wish my tiler had used one instead of his finger. Why dont so called professional tilers use these more often ? A lot of the work i've seen in this country with regards to silicone sealer is shocking. Come to think of it, so is everything.

In what respect 'not very good' ? How do they compare with a wet finger ?
Please elaborate.

In what respect 'not very good' ?
In as much as they don't work as they are shown to be working in the adverts. The ads show a rough application of silicone that is miraculously transformed into a beautiful neat line when you just pass over it with the tool. Surprise surprise, in the real world it doesn't work that well. But don't take my word for it, get your own and try it. http://www.absealants.co.uk/product_58-4-60_FUGI-KIT-1.htm I'd love to know what cheap ass silicone they're using in the video.

How do they compare with a wet finger ?
Comparing a finger to a small piece of plastic (costing upwards of a fiver) is not possible. Think of all the things you can do with a finger that you can't do with a piece of plastic. ;)

I've got the fugenboy from screwfix, which is simular to the fugi.
In my experience ,I find it excellent, well worth £10, but you still get stepping when used on tiling, and I wouldn't entertain it on mosaics.

I'd love to know what cheap ass silicone they're using in the video.
The same horrendous £0.99 per tube it-doesn't-matter-because-we-replace-it-every-year low modulus crap that they use in hotels, that doesn't stick to anything, thus has a deceptively wonderful finish.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

I must add it was a German hotel and by the look of it, it certainly was'nt the glossy stuff that you get from DIY stores. The quality of the tiling and fittings supports my view that it was a quality product.
I think replacing the silicone every year would not be very cost efficient just because it is cheap to buy in the first place.
Can anyone recommend a quality silicone ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back