Neco roller garage door turning them SMART

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just had 2 electric roller garage doors fitted that come with a little remote fob, along with a manual up and down button on the unit on the wall. I'd like them to be SMART i.e. Connect is a SonOff unit so either 'SmartThings' or Google/Alexa can open and close them.
Has anyone done this already and would be happy to share their knowledge please.

PS. I have a light curtain on the doors too, so anything in the way while opening or closing will stop the doors.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The problem is safety, what happens if a toddlers walks into the garage and you close the door? Same goes for cat.

My father-in-law had an electric door fitted, that used a fob, he had a holder just inside the front door which the fob fitted into, and this caused two problems, one door not closing, and two cat trapped in garage.

The non closing is not really not closing, as it did, but some stone would stop the door closing completely and the safety device built it would re-open the door.

Sitting in the car and using fob great, you can see the door open or close, but need to be visible.

Going through my mind is programming Alexa or google mini to auto open with a cats howl.

Remote control of garage doors can be dangerous if the person pushing the remote button cannot see whether there is anything or anyone in the way of the closing door.

Eric got there before me

Sponsored Links
My garage door has a safety bar on the bottom, if it senses any restriction it goes up again. Saves cats and toddlers and easy to check its closed from cctv or kitchen window.

My garage door opener from 10+ years ago, auto reverses if it comes into contact with anything whilst closing, and there is a light beam at the floor level to prevent closing if it's blocked. So I'd expect most new installs to have similar or better.

For automation, I bought a Garadget from America, to retrofit. It has it's own app, and for £100 did what I wanted of it, (I'd assumed some of the electric garage door companies like Liftmaster, etc. would offer something) but this was the best solution I could find at the time, fairly easy to install and setup.

It can be setup for a double garage door, if you buy 2 receivers.

Worth a look, but I'm not sure it can currently be incorporated into voice control systems like Siri/Alexa etc.

https://www.garadget.com

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back