NEDL "We can't tell you that!!!!"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
NEDL claim that they do not hold ANY records of the nature of their supplies!!! and they couldn't give it out over the phone!!

I have just spent the last hour on the phone trying to findout the nature of a supply to a property in Hartlepool.

The incomer is in a serious condition, it looks as if it is TN-s however I want to be absolutely sure. So naturally i tried to make a enquiry and I ahve been told

"We don't hold that information and if we did we couldn't give it out over the phone, you would have to ask the engineer when he calls!!!"

They also claim that earthing of their 'supply' is not their responsibility but the customers, is this true??

Sponsored Links
IIRC they are not obliged to supply an earth but they are obliged to maintain it in acceptable condition if they have provided one.

NEDL claim that they do not hold ANY records of the nature of their supplies!!! and they couldn't give it out over the phone!!
"We don't hold that information and if we did we couldn't give it out over the phone, you would have to ask the engineer when he calls!!!"
Information to be provided on request
A distributor shall provide, in respect of any existing or proposed consumer’s
installation which is connected or is to be connected to his network, to any person who can
show a reasonable cause for requiring the information, a written statement of—
(a) the maximum prospective short circuit current at the supply terminals;
(b) for low voltage connections, the maximum earth loop impedance of the earth fault
path outside the installation;
(c) the type and rating of the distributor’s protective device or devices nearest to the
supply terminals;
(d) the type of earthing system applicable to the connection; and
(e) the information specified in regulation 27(1),
which apply, or will apply, to that installation.

They also claim that earthing of their 'supply' is not their responsibility but the customers, is this true??
Equipment on a consumer’s premises

(4) Unless he can reasonably conclude that it is inappropriate for reasons of safety, a
distributor shall, when providing a new connection at low voltage, make available his supply
neutral conductor or, if appropriate, the protective conductor of his network for connection to
the protective conductor of the consumer’s installation.

I am convinced that if you want a serious response from a Utility company, a short, businesslike letter to the address on the bil will get a better response than phoning the Mumbai call centre.

Letters are recorded and tracked, and passed along until they reach a competent person who can deal with them (usually) and if not, at least you know who to complain to.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that chaps, particularly Bas. The centre is somewhere in the North!!

NEDL & YEDL are in the same building!!!

YEDL happy to provide relevant info NEDL 'It's classified'

Thats what happens when you stray out of Yorkshire.

I hope you've learned a valuable lesson :LOL: :LOL:

Ha ha ha, you're dead right Rob!!

I only got the job because i went to see a mate of mine in Hartlepool and he was a little concerned about the state of the installation of the DNO hardware!!

Asked me to have a look, so I did, changed my trousers, and have set about trying to put it right.

Service head is oozing tar, bakelite is browning, both their tails are red as are the tails on the customer side. :eek:

There is a double pole isolator from a cu hanging in mid air in between the meter and the cu, one of the tails has a nice slice of insulation missing up the back edge ripe for a nasty little belt. :eek: :eek:

The MEB is connected into the earth bar in positions 5 and 6!!! :confused:

after an hour and a half crawling round I could not find where they were connected to the gas and water!!! :confused: :confused:

Oh and there is no earthing supplied by YEDL!!! :rolleyes:

Any way raised this one as an emergency and ramped up the condition just a bit more ;) , they were going to be round within 3 hours, not heard anything yet!!!

Back up there on Saturday to make the customer installation safe, whats the betting I'll have to install a temporary TT!!! :cry:

Will get some before and afters for us all to fawn over next week!!

Oh the RCD disconnected well within the limits!!! :D

As for the other tests don't ask!!!!!

I've had similar helpfull experiences with Central Networks.

In an ideal world this situation would be incredibly rare because meter readers would be trained to notice such things and report them accordingly.

Or am I being wildly optimistic :?: :rolleyes:

Unfortunatly, meter readers have no electrical background at all, and the meter changers are trined to change meters, and nothing else.

They are not electricians by any strech of the imagination (although Roo is pretty clued up :LOL:)

I had a job a year or so ago. It was a TN-S supplied on split con. The suppliers earth was non existent, and the installation was relying on the gas supply for an earth.

I phoned YEDL to report a dangerous installation, and they said they would attend within 4 to 6 weeks :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry.

He is only a soft southern shandy drinker afterall :LOL:

They are not electricians by any strech of the imagination (although Roo is pretty clued up :LOL:)

Sorry have to disagree with you,
MOST meter fellas are not electricians and some of the jobs I've been going to behind people trying to make themselves more money make me think they shouldn't be let loose at all.

But some of the lads I work with and I was lucky enough to be trained by were (from the old board days and some still are) practicing sparks, tho they are few and far between now.

As for me being clued up.... :LOL: I'm not in the slightest.
A little bit of knowledge can sometimes be worse than no knowledge as you see reading some messages on this forum.
Too many regs and calculations for me to be doing your job.
I'm just your bog standard meter man that gets em done SAFELY and goes home able to sleep at night.

As for meter readers THEY ARE TOLD TO REPORT ANYTHING WRONG WITH OUR EQUIPMENT
And I know it's stereotyping and it's wrong but I'm surprised some of them can tie their shoe laces never mind spot dangerous equipment.

Sorry have to disagree with you,
MOST meter fellas are not electricians and some of the jobs I've been going to behind people trying to make themselves more money make me think they shouldn't be let loose at all..
Err - isn't that what RF said?
the meter changers are trined to change meters, and nothing else.

They are not electricians by any strech of the imagination

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back