Need a new bathroom mirror.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our old bathroom mirror has gone manky. I would like to fit something similar and specifically with a shelf underneath as per the existing (see pics.) Is it possible to buy new fixing brackets and stick them onto the rear of a new mirror or even take the old ones off and attach them to a new mirror ? The existing glass shelf and fixing bars are O.K. and don't need replacing, only the brackets that hold the bars to the rear of the mirror. I'm not looking for anything fancy like a heated mirror, bathroom cabinet, etc. Thanks for any help given.

Mirror3 small.jpg

Mirror small.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would buy a new mirror glass, ether cut to size or something off shelf that is similar size (bigger). You can pay more for steam protected mirror that do not discolour due to damp).

Measure exactly where items are (mainly separation of items from each other rather from edge of mirror).
Then try and leaver metal work off with screwdriver.
I expect glass with then shatter, and so would the put metal in clamp and prize off bits of glass.

Then glue metal to new mirror using araldite or mirror adhesive.

SFK

Thank you for that. I knew I would have to buy a new mirror, it is the backing off the bevilled edge of our mirror which is disappearing. But I wondered if it is possible to buy new brackets etc. rather than trying to prise the old ones off with a screwdriver. I have thought that if I go down that route that the glass will probably shatter but I also wondered if any or the mirror adhesives or Araldite would actually hold the brackets on sufficiently well on a new mirror.

I believe the backing off the bevelled edge of the mirror disappearing/going black is because mirror does not have an extra (waterproof) layer on back.
I only clocked this when I bought a cheap stock shop bought mirror and then bought a Made to Measure mirror, and that company asked me if I wanted to pay a bit extra for a water resiatnmt backing. No idea if this was real, both mirrors looks the same, but the cheap stock shop bought mirror is going black at edges and the made to measure is not.

Regarding will it take the weight.
It is already doing this with adhesive - so probably / perhaps.
There are adhesive fixing kits:
https://www.wholesaleglasscompany.co.uk/acatalog/Vitofix-Plus-08.html
and
https://www.hangingsystems.com/stas...MIhNbds6Hl5gIVRLDtCh2T6A9BEAQYASABEgKZOvD_BwE

found using google search for "adhesive mirror fixings"
SFK

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I believe the backing off the bevelled edge of the mirror disappearing/going black is because mirror does not have an extra (waterproof) layer on back.
I only clocked this when I bought a cheap stock shop bought mirror and then bought a Made to Measure mirror, and that company asked me if I wanted to pay a bit extra for a water resiatnmt backing. No idea if this was real, both mirrors looks the same, but the cheap stock shop bought mirror is going black at edges and the made to measure is not.

Regarding will it take the weight.
It is already doing this with adhesive - so probably / perhaps.
There are adhesive fixing kits:
https://www.wholesaleglasscompany.co.uk/acatalog/Vitofix-Plus-08.html
and
https://www.hangingsystems.com/stas...MIhNbds6Hl5gIVRLDtCh2T6A9BEAQYASABEgKZOvD_BwE

found using google search for "adhesive mirror fixings"
SFK
This mirror has done about 8 years and so I guess it was probably one without the waterproof layer on the back. With regard to the fixings it would be nice to be able to use the existing screws in the wall if I could.

Thinking outside the box.
You could glue a strip of wood onto mirror on the outside edge (like a picture frame) and make a feature of it.
It's called moulding:
My problem is that She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn't want any kind of surround but thank you anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back