Need advice on insulating a garage at absolute minimal costs

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice to insulate my garage so I can work there on my desk when it gets cold

I had ideas of making it into a room - but money is a big issue and all I want is to JUST insulate it - nothing else!

One side I have the metal garage door - these has holes all around
The fact that it's metal is a big problem!

What can I do about this? I only want a temporary measure - in future, I will be turning into a proper room
(So I don't want to build a fake inside wall - unless this was a really cheap option?)

On the other side I have a window and door frame - with small gaps - when wind blows really hard it can be felt! - other than fill gaps is there anything else I can do?

It's just a single glass - not double glazed

Roof: I can see large time going across with large gaps in between
Can I just buy insulating material and just stick up there putting a wooden board in place?

Should I forget about doing it myself and simply get someone who knows a bit about what they're doing?

ANY advice would be great

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
If you just put 2" Kingspan around the waals and ceiling (properly taped along the joints) the difference would be dramatic.

The kingspan would not be wasted as you could always reuse it at a later date.

Assuming you have access other than the metal garage door you could put the Kingspan across the door, expanding foam around the door to stp drauaghts and hopefully you will be comfortable.

Insulated chip board flooring would round it off.

Good Luck.

Tim

http://www.planetinsulation.co.uk/ZGA3050.php

You don't say how much space you need, but reducing the insulated area to the area required and then (temporarily) sealing off the rest would save you money and increase comfort.

thanks for the reply
i never thought about the space
the space is an average garage size: 6m x 2.5m

ideally, i'd like to keep all space available - i need for storage

you mention 'sealing' how would i seal off?
any advice u'd give would be great.
i'm a bit lost and clueless what to do!
thanks

Sponsored Links
ideally, i'd like to keep all space available - i need for storage
you mention 'sealing' how would i seal off?

Just build a simple stud wall, insulate it and finish with plasterboard or maybe even heavy polythene sheet if you want to save every last penny for a temporary solution.

Do a search for stud wall. hundreds of posts.

This would effectively divide garage in two , so if you have standard layout, can access from rear for insulated area and from front for storage.

great
just seen a video on utube
i think it's what i need
i think i'll get someone to build for me

would u recommend insulating the ceiling part and putting in insulating material up there?
i'd probably be able to do that myself

thanks!

For simplicity, lowest cost and -again- minimising heated area, I would suggest a flat, false ceiling, constructed exactly like the stud wall, covered with a poly sheet and then fibre-wool insulation rolled out on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back