Advice on insulating garage - Materials?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
About to move into new property, went over today to take some measurements in the garage in order to workout budget for materils.
Objective is not to be warm, is just to stop condensation as much as possible due to milling machine, lathe, metal rods,etc...

Previous owner to current ones had the garage converted into an office, so that might explain the double skin up to half way? not sure..
but anyway, garage is detached, side walls are, as you can see, double skin up to half way, the rear wall is to another garage, felt it today and brick wasn't even cold, was warm to be fair! considering it has been freezing lately.

I dont want to lose usable floor space, so won't be putting insulation where the double skin is - also probably not needed?
but would like to insulate where the single skin is, on the side walls. (will eventually also do the roof and garage doors)

The brick width is 10cm.
I plan to build a frame with uprights, insulation in and then OSB board on top, to bring it flush with the breeze block.
Lucky that each of those spaces are 2.3m x 1.12m - Meaning one sheet of OSB will cover it nicely.

to my question : what to use?
1. build the frame with 25x50mm timber?
2. Use 50mm insulation and leave a big gap between it and the brick? or use 70mm insulation, leave a smaller gap?
3. Any advice on brand or type of insulation to use?
3. OSB thickness, I was thinking using 18mm - I won't be hanging much on them, only light stuff, but even if I plan a cupboard, I'll make sure I have timber uprights behind it.

Thank you in advance.

here's some photos.

52555542670_4eb1d1b99b_c.jpg

52555542645_ff16ffd059_c.jpg

52555367974_d11be1d1bd_c.jpg

Sponsored Links
Insulating wont stop the damp remember a fridge and a freezer are well insulated
iff you have any moisture, it will condense on the coldest surface so unless you have say a single glazed door to give a colder surface it will find the coldest usually metal surface
so you need ventilation or extraction to remove the extra moisture

Insulating wont stop the damp remember a fridge and a freezer are well insulated
iff you have any moisture, it will condense on the coldest surface so unless you have say a single glazed door to give a colder surface it will find the coldest usually metal surface

I'm not sure if its damp or not yet, but 10 years ago I had a detached garage, single skin brick and i had to have a dehumidifier running in there almost 24h during the winter to stop standing water on all the metal surfaces.
the current garage I have is attached to the house by one wall, the other wall is double skin top to bottom, when I moved in I put DPM on the floor and the cheapest house carpet available and it has been pretty good with almost no condensation at all

going to a detached garage again, I thought by putting insulation I'd avoid the damp like i experienced before, maybe by keeping it from going way too cold inside.....Still plan on putting DPM and garage on the floor, and as it has the double skin halfs, I thought ....well, I dont know now! haha

Should I maybe paint the whole thing inside with some kind of damp proof paint?

no, dont paint until you remove the damp as at least every surface can absorb some moisture and breath a bit
using an area give a moisture input [breathing and heat attracts moisture ] and unless the ventilation can remove the extra moisture it will just condense then disappear in a daily cycle until removed by heat or ventilation
take a sheet off plastic and attach to the coldest wall and watch the trapped moisture collect

Sponsored Links
no, dont paint until you remove the damp as at least every surface can absorb some moisture and breath a bit
using an area give a moisture input [breathing and heat attracts moisture ] and unless the ventilation can remove the extra moisture it will just condense then disappear in a daily cycle until removed by heat or ventilation
take a sheet off plastic and attach to the coldest wall and watch the trapped moisture collect

can't I just paint and then put a dehumidifer inside?
bear in mind, I dont even know if it's damp inside, it looked pretty dry to me today to be fair, but my plan was prevention and get what I had been reading - DPM, insulate walls, and roof, put a vent fan, etc..- before I move in, have probably 2 weeks time window, if not less, from getting the keys, to move all my stuff in.
so have to get all done, before moving the machines in.

well yes you can paint it but its like adding plastic so no absorption
chunky metal as you know attracts cold so unless its greased or warmer than the coldest surface it will attract moisture

the way i would do it is in stages yes insulate but along side ventilation and heating
use it for a few hours and warming a bit may add perhaps 250ml off water drawn from breath 'outside 'the structure and as the air cools without ventilation has to be reabsorbed until removed or will keep recycling untill the levels change

Is there a special paint I could use to paint all the breeze block and other bricks? something that I could then paint over once I have the OSB on, as I intend to then paint it all white?
I had a look in Wickes today but all the paint that looked like damp protection was all for external use - which makes sense, probably coats it to protect from rain.
so, not sure exactly what paint to use for the walls.

i don't know about paint, just know iff you seal a surface it won't breath----
-----others may like to comment

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back